You Bumped Into Who?!:How to Deal When Running Into an Ex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We’ve all been there: You’re walking around campus or walking around the mall with your friends, smiling and laughing about something they just said to you when you turn around and there they are. The one person you always want to avoid after they broke your heart, or you broke theirs..your ex. Trust me girls, coming from someone who goes to the same campus as their ex-boyfriend, I know how awkward it can get. Even if you ended things on good terms, there’s always going to be a certain tension and awkwardness surrounding your encounters.

Have you ever wondered how to handle those run-ins? Well, here are some tips on how to deal with them!

1.      You ended things on bad terms:

You hate each other and you say that you never want to see him again. Yet one day you’re walking into GC, talking to your girlfriends about the latest episode of The Vampire Diaries, when you see him walking your way. What do you do?

If you both make eye contact then be the bigger person and give him a small smile or nod. Even if he doesn’t return it, he now realizes that you’re being the more mature one. Besides, at the end of the day it’s not worth it to hold a grudge because the only one being filled with that negativity is you!  However, if he doesn’t make eye contact and you’re the one that acknowledges his presence then just let it go. It might seem like the most logical thing to do but some tend to think it’s a good idea to draw attention to themselves so the other can notice. But trust me, they’re only going to take one look at you, roll their eyes and walk away.

2.      You ended things on good terms:

So you both decided to just be friends or at least to not hate each other, which usually never happens, but if it does the just be nice! If you see them as you’re walking into the bookstore or if you’re grabbing lunch with your friends at Lime on the weekend, then just say hi! Like I said, you’ve pretty much decided to not be hostile towards each other so what’s the harm in being civil? A simple “Hey, how are you? Good to see you” will suffice, because no exes really want to keep talking past that point.

Yes, it may be awkward if they’re with friends; especially if it’s with friends that you met and hung out with during your relationship but you should not let that stop you. Give them a small wave or greet each other with the generic Miami kiss on the cheek, and then keep on going with your day.

3.      You see them with their current girlfriend.

Now this is the most awkward of them all, especially if you’re by yourself. If they happen to make eye contact with you, then smile back or wave. But whatever you do, don’t go up to them. It will only make things worse for you. But then again, they might try and engage in a conversation with you and show off that they’re in a relationship. Girls, if you see this is about to happen then play it as cool as possible. It’s going to be awkward, but you can’t take the easy road and walk away. Be courteous and say hi, chit chat for a few seconds, and then say you have to go somewhere and that it was nice to see them. This will show them that you’re not intimidated by the fact that they found someone else, while you’re still single. Besides you’ll find someone else and better too!