This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In cinema’s dazzling world, few directors shine as brightly as Wong Kar-wai. His films are more than just movies; they’re experiences that linger in your heart long after the credits roll. If you’re not already familiar with this cinematic genius, let me introduce you to the enchanting world of Wong Kar-wai and what makes him so special.

Colors That Speak Volumes

One glance at Wong Kar-wai’s filmography, and you’ll notice something extraordinary – the way he uses colors to tell stories. Each hue is carefully chosen to convey emotion and atmosphere. From the passionate reds of “In the Mood for Love” to the cool blues of “Chungking Express,” colors in his films are like characters in their own right, whispering secrets and feelings to the audience. Wong Kar-wai’s use of colors tell a narrative of their own.

Frames Filled with Emotion

Wong Kar-wai’s unique framing technique is another hallmark of his filmmaking style. His shots are carefully composed, turning every frame into a work of art. His use of frames within frames adds depth and symbolism, allowing viewers to connect with the characters on a profound level. His framing techniques allow the user to be part of the story in a non-traditional way, where we see the characters interacting through reflections, or frames where we can’t even see the characters, but the viewer is still completely in touch and involved in the scene.

Captivating Quirks

Wong Kar-wai’s films are peppered with quirky details that make them unforgettable. Whether it’s the recurring motif of clocks and watches, or the mouthwatering food scenes that make you crave a bowl of noodles, these small quirks add layers of charm and complexity to his storytelling. Little hidden gems like these are a staple to Wong Kar-wai’s films, reminding us of the value in his cinematographic style beyond the original storyline.

Romance in the Rain

Rain is a recurring theme in Wong Kar-wai’s films, but it’s more than just weather; it’s a symbol of love, longing, and solitude. The way he captures characters in the midst of a downpour, finding solace or sadness, is nothing short of poetic. Wong Kar-wai’s rain-soaked streets are where emotions are laid bare, and connections are made or broken.

Slow Motion, Timeless Emotion

When it comes to slow-motion sequences, Wong Kar-wai is a true master. His use of slow motion transforms ordinary moments into cinematic poetry. It seems like time itself slows down to allow the viewer to dwell on the emotions on display, creating an experience that’s both timeless and deeply moving.

A Time-Bending Narrative

Wong Kar-wai’s non-linear storytelling is a signature feature of his films. He weaves time into his narratives, making it an integral part of the story (hence the motif of the clocks). This unique approach invites viewers to re-live moments with his characters, making the passage of time a central theme in his films.

In conclusion, Wong Kar-wai is a filmmaker like no other, a true artist who crafts cinematic magic through his use of colors, impeccable framing, quirky details, rain-soaked romance, slow-motion elegance, and time-bending narratives. His films are a journey into a world where emotions are vividly painted on the screen. If you haven’t yet experienced the enchantment of Wong Kar-wai’s films, I invite you to watch his films and discover a world of psychedelic reality, and to see for yourself what makes him so special.

Junior pursuing a Marketing major and a Hospitality minor at FIU!