This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Instagram just rolled out their new post feature, Reels, that are quite eerily similar to Tik Tok! This isn’t a surprise as Instagram typically rolls out new features to their app when another social platform has a new platform feature. In 2017, Instagram released its story posts feature that was similar to Snapchat. If you’re already using TikTok, you may not want to use this new Instagram feature. However, here are 4 reasons why you NEED to start using Instagram reels:

Get more followers: If you have been struggling with getting more followers on Instagram, this is your chance to start getting your influencer status! Instagram has been a pretty tough platform to gain a following on, until the release of this new feature. This has allowed for a larger audience to reach your reels and your target audience! The algorithm will work in your favor. 

Instagram’s algorithm is favoring reels: The new Instagram algorithm placed the reels section in the middle of the menu section where the “post” bottom used to be! This shows that the algorithm is placing priority on these reels and you, as a content creator, should be, too! The algorithm will push your posts to more of your followers and will have your reels rank higher on your follower’s feeds.

Increase your engagement: If you use these reels frequently, you’ll start to see an increase in engagement on your page! In case you don’t know, engagement suggests how many interactions you get throughout your content (i.e. likes, comments, shares, saves, and more). If you are looking to become an influencer or grow your account in general, this is definitely what you need to be focusing on!  

Better hashtag reach on Instagram: As of right now, we know more about how to optimize your hashtags on Instagram than on TikTok. Hashtags help your post have a longer span of visibility on any platform. However, TikTok’s hashtags optimization strategies haven’t been cracked down just yet like Instagram. If you already have a great way of getting lots of reach on your Instagram posts through hashtags, then you can totally do the same thing to get even more reach on your reels!

Instagram is always changing and updating to be the most superior platform on the internet! With this new feature on the app, you will be able to start using it to your advantage. Grow your audience, increase your engagement, and get that influencer money! Anyone can do it, so what’s stopping you?

Natalia Pineiro is a blogger, social media manager, and college student at Florida International University. Born and raised in Miami, Natalia has always adored how she was able to make longlasting friendships and connections with people from all over the world. South Florida is an extremely culturally diverse environment that makes it one of the most unique places in the world and Natalia couldn't be more proud of it. The passion she has for meeting people of different cultures has pushed her to travel to many destinations to explore new languages, food, and more! She loves sharing her experiences through blog posts, video editing, photography, and more!