international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash

Why You Maybe Feeling Lonely in College as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Picture This:

You get accepted into a university that is miles away from home and your senior year starts to feel bittersweet because you start to realize that all you have been experiencing in high school is about to change. Next thing you know it, graduation comes into play and you walk across the stage feeling accomplished but also a little bit sad afterward. There’s an emptiness that starts to roll in and you can’t identify where it is coming from. You pack your car or suitcase and head on your way to start a new chapter of your life. You are excited to meet new people and be on your own for once. But then you come to realize that you have to start all over. Feeling so small in a sea full of students from around the world.  

It’s normal to feel lonely once in a while, but I think we can agree that often is a little too much…especially when you are surrounded by thousands of students. The transition from high school to college is something that no one really talks about. Getting used to the different atmosphere college has to offer isn’t all that simple. You don’t have to raise your hand to speak, you can use the bathroom pretty much whenever you want, and little by little the class gets smaller because people stop showing up when they realize attendance isn’t mandatory….in some cases. 

Whether this is something you can relate to now or sometime in the future, DO NOT WORRY! Because in this article, will share some of the tips that helped me beat the feeling of loneliness during my freshman year.

• Attend Events 

I know this is not something everyone is up for but as a freshman, going to events held on campus is a game changer. Friend-making opportunity GALORE. Even though it may be awkward at first being around so many people, be proud of yourself for showing up anyway. I guarantee that you will meet at least one person that can help make the campus feel a bit warmer. 

• Don’t Be Shy

As a student just starting out, it is important to realize we are all in the same boat. Most people don’t know each other, and everyone wants to make new friends. So going up to someone and introducing yourself can help ease that tension and perhaps even create a worthwhile friendship down the road of your college journey. If that doesn’t end up being the case, we love a little “hi” and “bye” moment on the way to class. 

• Be Involved 

This may be the best and most effective way to make friends at university. When you become part of an organization you will be meeting with a small group of people every week or month. Therefore, these recurring faces may leave a lasting impression on whether or not you would like to associate yourself around them for lunch or a study session one day. It also may force you to communicate with the people around you so no arguments there. 

I hope the information you read above will help you out on your college journey. Remember this is a time that is so short and precious to our lives before adulting. Making memories is so important because it is what you are able to look back on. It is worth the sacrifice to conversate with those around you. After all, we are alive and should enjoy these moments while we can. 

Kimora is a writer from the HerCampus Chapter at Florida International University. *Her current status: vlogging. Join the #kimmunity