This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you’re into streetwear like me, you know how difficult it is to get your hands on Kanye West’s Yeezy Boost 350s. Although West’s shoes were first introduced in 2015, the shoes have still remained pretty exclusive and at a price point of $220. Yet, West had recently made a new color of the sneakers that recently released on September 23, 2019—The Yeezy Citrin. 

Credit: Instagram

Unfortunately, the shoe just didn’t do as well as the other designs Kanye has come up with throughout the years. First of all, the color scheme isn’t the nicest. Personally, I feel as if there are way too many colors going on in this design. Not only that, but there are also way too many patterns going on, making these shoes not as versatile as other colors like the Cream Whites, or the Pirate Blacks. Which in other words, are just all-black and all-white versions of the sneaker. Moreover, the other problem with the shoes was simply that Kanye and his design team manufactured too many shoes. Usually, buying the Yeezy Boost 350s sell out in less than 5 minutes. However, this time around with the Citrins, they were on the website for a couple of days. Also, their value stayed steady on authentic sneaker selling apps like StockX. 

Furthermore, the shoe ended up making it to retail stores like Foot Locker which usually never happens since the shoes always sell out online. Oddly enough, even in-store there have been several sizes available. Unfortunately, people who aren’t aware of the value of the shoes are being scammed by resellers who have been keeping up with exclusive sneakers. For instance, although the Citrin’s worth on StockX is at about $260, people are getting resold Citrins for about $600 just because they are Yeezys and the public assumes that is a normal resell price without being aware of how easy it is to get the shoe.

Overall, I feel that shoes would have sold better if they wasn’t so easy to purchase off the website. Also, if the design was a little more minimalistic maybe it would have grabbed more potential customers. But, at the end of the day, they are still Yeezys and they were still designed by Kanye West which is enough to get people to still want to purchase them.

Maria is a sophomore at Florida International University studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications. She loves to travel to Europe and her favorite thing to do is sing and play the guitar. She also loves photography and fashion and enjoys being with her family and her dog. She is originally from College Station, Texas, but her family is Venezuelan and Puerto Rican.