This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Women are no longer considered a minority. In fact, they represent half of the world’s population. With the upcoming 2020 presidential election and the tragic recent passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the state of affairs in the United States has been slightly chaotic.

Though progress has occurred over the last twenty years, with more female legislators now than ever before, the active participation of women in democracy today remains vital and fundamental.

Someone once told me that women were too emotional to be president, and I remember how sexist that comment struck me. The representation of women in politics stems further than “gender equality”. This isn’t plainly about sex or gender. Instead, this is about the importance of including women in a typically male-dominated area. 

The perspective, leadership, and presence of women in our legal and governmental fields are essential to society. This is because the inclusion of women in political positions guarantees a response to all citizens’ needs. This response amplifies the voices of women in a given population and validates their concerns on issues like childcare and domestic violence.

People always ask, “Why does it matter if there are more men than women in politics?” or “Why do we need more women to be a part of the political process?”.

The simple answer is that without the fair representation of women in political positions of power, democracy cannot function as effectively as possible. 

Wooden gavel on a white marble backdrop
Photo by Tingey Injury Law Firm from Unsplash

Research has shown that women legislate differently compared to men, and they also place significant priority on women’s rights. This priority comes as a result of different social, economic, and cultural backgrounds. By having these diverse backgrounds, women in politics can shed light on gender-specific problems and their proposed solutions.

All political institutions would benefit from having women of distinct settings and life experiences shape policy and law. The world of politics needs women as much as it needs men; women bring to the table many things that men don’t, and vice-versa. The female perspective, especially when it makes up half of the world’s population, is an indispensable one.

From litigating as a practicing attorney to law-enforcing as a Supreme Court Justice, women should be celebrated in political positions of power as often as possible. Today, I think the announcement of a female president is coming at any minute, and the momentum for female empowerment on the political spectrum both excites and encourages me.

So, why do women matter in politics? Because in the words of the late Justice Ginsburg: “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made.”

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.