Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Not Having A Boyfriend During the Holidays Is The Best.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Every time the holidays roll around, I get excited because the thought of giving and receiving amazing gifts always puts me in a good mood, but at the same time a feeling of dread lingers slightly in the back of my mind. Especially when a nosy tia asks me “y el novio?”, and my answer is the same as last year. No novio. No boyfriend. No problem!

I’m not exactly disappointed with the way my love life has worked out over the past couple of years especially around the holidays and here’s why. 

I save tons of money on gifts. The stress of not having to get my significant other a gift has never really been an issue for me the past 3 years. While I was in a relationship it was always about trying to find the perfect gift for my SO and always trying to out-do my last gift, leaving me with little money and time to get other amazing gifts for my friends and family. 

Bringing a date to a family function won’t be as bad as you think. When your family automatically assumes you have a plus one it can be a bit awkward, but I’ve found that taking a great friend makes it a lot more fun. I’ve opted to bring one of my besties instead of someone I was dating because my friends know me better than anyone else. Who else is going to hype up your accomplishments to your family? Then, you don’t need to worry about the stress of introductions because your friends (sometimes) have already met your family. 

You don’t have to split your time between events. Not being at my tia’s house for Noche Buena (Christmas Eve) is not an option. Your family is probably not as holiday intense as my family is, but my point stands; having to decide where you’re going to spend the holidays will not be fun. Either you or your significant other will have to compromise, and no one likes to compromise during the holidays. Missing out on all the family traditions, like my aunt trying to make someone say grace and eventually gives up and does it herself, building gingerbread houses or even baking cookies and leaving them out for Santa, can really make the holidays incomplete.

Sappy romantic moments aren’t a big deal. This one can be rough, especially if you’re fresh out of a relationship. But the truth is you can make amazing and incredible moments without a SO. The holidays are about enjoying time with the ones you love, just because you’re out of a love, doesn’t mean you still can’t love your friends and family and make great memories with them.

Being single doesn’t mean you’re alone, and truthfully, being upset about it will just kill the holiday vibe that everyone can’t wait for. Make the best of what you have.

Happy Holidays!

-Kaylin

A senior at Florida International University, Kaylin is currently majoring in Broadcast Journalism with a minor in Art. Aside from writing, she has a passion for pastry making, film photography, and reading. She can usually be found by the pool or beach reading a new adventure.