Why I Would Never Trade My Long Distance Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

I  have to admit, being away from someone weeks at a time takes a toll. You start overthinking about every little thing; does he still love me? Will he find someone better? If I get him mad one night will he decide it’s not worth it anymore? Is it worth it?

These thoughts start to consume you. The feeling of heartache when he tells you that something phenomenal happened and you weren’t there for it. Of sorrow because when one of you is feeling down, something as simple as a hug isn’t an option. All of this piled up, and yet, the last thing I want to do is give up.

Long distance tests many things: trust, loyalty, teamwork and most importantly: the love you two share. And while it tests, it also opens up an entirely different perspective on relationships.

One of the many things that keeps me going is knowing my significant other loves me. Whenever I do get the chance to see him, I am treated so compassionately. The way he will just hold me, grab my hand subconsciously, even play with my hair to help me fall asleep; I know he would go to the ends of the world to keep me happy. One time he literally bought a hand towel from Target because I said I can’t keep drying my hands on my jeans.

We also have trust, we are totally transparent with one another. I have been lied to by many people, but my boyfriend has never been one of them. If there’s something I appreciate more than anything, its the honesty. Because of that I can go to sleep happy knowing he would never do anything to intentionally hurt me.

I guess what I like about long distance is being able to grow together, while allowing each other to be our own person. I like being able to go out with my friends and family without having to depend on someone all the time. What I mean by this is in my past relationships I was always asking for permission to do anything that didn’t involve my boyfriend. Being in a long distance relationship has taught me to be independent. Being without him is okay, doing my own thing is okay.

I have to say, he has been a saving Grace. He is my sunshine, the highs in my lows. I can’t thank him enough for everything he has done for me. I don’t think I could love someone more, I believe that is what keeps me going.

I hope I didn’t get too sappy! Thank you for reading, this is something totally out of my comfort zone.

Don’t be a stranger! See you soon!

-Dani

Instagram: @daniiurrea Twitter: @daniiurrea