sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Why the Book Called Your Life Isn’t Coming Out the Way You Want It To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Love, a feeling so many people spend their lives yearning for and stressing over. So often we wish we could find a love story similar to one of our own. A story that in every way represents us and the person we want to be with us. A story that guides us and tells us that in the end everything will be okay. We look for this romance in books, movies and real life events from people we know or articles we read online. We are constantly looking for people who are sharing the same experience as us in the hopes that it will bring us closer to the answers we long for. Maybe there is someone out there who went through exactly what we’re going through now and has all the answers to the doubts and questions we have. A story is reassurance that it will all be okay. Because in stories, more often than not, there is a happy ending.

The one magical thing that many people tend to forget is that we are constantly writing our own love story. Waiting for that happy ending is absolutely dreadful, but why would you want your love to be like any other? By finding another love story similar to your own, you miss out on the excitement and significance of having something that is incomparable. Some love stories are tragedies, but rather than tragedies we should look at them as the exposition to a wonderful love story. A romance unlike all others is what all the failed ones will lead up to, at least that’s all we can hope. And life is full of hope. Continuous hoping actually. Hope that each day will be better than the last. Hope that our future will be full of meaning. Hope that one day we will make our parents proud. Hope that one day we will make ourselves proud. Hope that one day our life will turn out exactly how we wish it to be, or even better, exactly how it was meant to be.

You can’t always get what you want and sometimes you end up with exactly what you need. Nothing is more spectacular than a life that is better than anything we could have ever imagined, to have endless happiness, but not boring happiness. There cannot be true happiness without struggle. Only know you’ve been high when you’re feeling low, or so the song goes. If you never struggle you will never be able to appreciate how wonderful everything around you is. That is why our lives should be happy, but full of challenges. Challenges in our career, in our relationships, in all things. A simple life is a boring life. Simplicity doesn’t conjure many stories either. The more complex and scary something is the more worthwhile it tends to be. Safe is never the better option. In life we must go for it, especially when we are scared. Because when we are scared we care, and if we care we must do everything we can to get exactly what we want. Sometimes you do everything you possibly can to get you want and it doesn’t work out, but that leads you to finding exactly what you need. Although finding what you need sounds an awful lot like settling, settling would be getting what we wanted and then finding ourselves unsatisfied that the thing or person we thought we desired could never live up to the fantasized version that lives in our heads.

Love is a worldwide thing, everyone loves at some point in their life. It’s up to us to write our own love stories. We need to stop searching for the answers, let life happen, and take risks even though we might get hurt. Don’t avoid complications, embrace them. Life has a way of bringing the people we need to us. Some people are forever and some are only for a short period of time. Either way they help us write our stories and determine our path. We might not know how our stories will end, but we can’t let life pass us by and settle for the ordinary. 

Ashley Mielke