What You Need to Know About the Las Vegas Shooting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

A nightmare became reality for concert-goers at Route 91 Harvest, a three-day outdoor country music festival, when a gunman opened fire from an upper level window of a Las Vegas hotel Sunday night. At least 59 people have been confirmed dead and about 527 others were injured, making this one of America’s deadliest shootings in modern times.

Rapid-fire rained down on the audience of about 22,000 people during Jason Aldean’s performance sometime after 10:00 p.m. (Pacific Standard Time). Aldean, the final performer of the night, was rushed off the stage shortly after the first burst of gunfire erupted. He took to Instagram to respond to the tragedy stating, “Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still don’t know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that me and my crew are safe. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate.” Aldean has also canceled several of his upcoming shows out of respect for the victims and their families.

Sherriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department issued a statement saying that SWAT members went room by room at the Mandalay Bay Resort starting at the 29th floor. On the 32nd floor of the hotel they found a lone gunman, who appeared to have taken his own life moments before their arrival. According to The New York Times, at least 20 rifles were found in the hotel room where the shooter was lodged. It is unclear what the shooter’s motive was at this time; However the F.B.I. reportedly does not believe it to be an act of international terrorism.

President Donald J. Trump took to Twitter on Monday morning stating, “My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!” The support of victims and their families from across the nation and world has served as a shining light in the darkness of this tragedy. Lines of people waiting to donate blood outside of United Blood Services Blood Banks in Nevada were reportedly hours long. According to the New York Times, people also donated money. An online fundraising campaign started by Steve Sisolak, the Clark County Commission chairman from Las Vegas, has raised over $850,000 so far.

Our hearts go out to the victims and their families.

Cover Image: http://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/embed-lg/publi…