This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Flowers, balloons, and chocolate-dipped fruit. It’s hard to believe that Valentine’s Day is really just around the corner. The universal day of love is speedily approaching, and with it looms the thought of the “perfect gift.”

For men, especially, it can be tough to find the perfect gift for that special someone because they’re trying to be both sentimental and creative.

While I may not have the exact gift your lady may have in mind, I can tell you the top five things she does NOT want to be gifted this Valentine’s Day. 

Of course, the most significant part of this holiday is the time you spend with your significant other. But picking the right gift goes a long way to putting a smile on her face.

The internet is crowded with incredible gifts to shower your girlfriend with, but there’s not always a guide to tell you what to avoid buying for Valentine’s Day. So here it is:

1. Anything Sex-Themed

Have you ever seen those “Ring For Sex” bells they sell at party stores? Your girlfriend has, and she hates them. I promise any subconscious signals you are trying to send with a sex-themed gift are missing their mark.

2. An Appliance

You can’t really be surprised when she gets upset you bought her a new vacuum. For Valentine’s Day? Any other day would’ve been better, including her birthday. But the most romantic day of the year? NO!

3. A Coupon Book

How sweet of you to get her a coupon book! One free dinner…one free massage…one free surprise date. Are you NOT already doing these things? If so, she doesn’t need it in writing, and if not, she just needs a new boyfriend.

4. A Gag Gift

Your girlfriend might love your cheesy side, but that doesn’t mean she wants a gag gift on Valentine’s Day. Sure, she’ll laugh and roll her eyes at you, but that’s about it. Doesn’t exactly scream “jump my bones,” does it?

5.  A Proposal

Please do NOT propose to your girlfriend on Valentine’s Day. Not only is it insanely tacky and unimaginative, but it’s also just flat-out overdone. You have 364 other days to choose from, so make it count!

Whatever you’re planning on gifting your lady this Valentine’s Day, the most crucial part of the day is the time you spend together.

Remember, she picked you for a reason, so don’t mess it up by getting her something from this list!

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.