What exactly is “bed rotting” and why is it framed so negatively?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Bed rotting” is a term that has gained popularity in recent years, especially among Gen Z on TikTok. It refers to the act of spending excessive amounts of time in bed, often to the detriment of one’s physical and mental health, as well as their productivity and overall well-being. Rotting like a corpse in bed essentially.

This phenomenon has become more prevalent with the widespread availability of smartphones, tablets, and laptops, which provide easy access to entertainment, social media, and other distractions from the comfort of one’s bed. Many people, particularly adolescents and young adults, find themselves scrolling through social media feeds, binge-watching TV shows, or playing video games late into the night, often at the expense of a good night’s sleep.

I often find myself bed rotting too, laying in bed watching video essays on my iPad eating hot chips. But why is that so bad?

The negative connotations surrounding “bed rotting” stem from its association with sedentary behavior, lack of exercise, poor sleep habits, and the potential for developing health issues such as obesity, back pain, and depression. Spending excessive time in bed can disrupt the body’s natural circadian rhythms, leading to sleep disturbances and fatigue during the day. Additionally, prolonged periods of inactivity can weaken muscles, stiffen joints, and contribute to overall physical deconditioning.

Furthermore, “bed rotting” is often linked to procrastination and a lack of motivation or direction in life. Instead of using time productively to pursue personal or professional goals, individuals may find themselves stuck in a cycle of inertia, unable to break free from the comfort and familiarity of their bed.

In a society that values productivity, ambition, and physical fitness, “bed rotting” is viewed as a form of self-indulgence or laziness. People who engage in this behavior may be judged or stigmatized by others who see it as a waste of time or a sign of personal weakness.

However, it’s important to recognize that there are underlying factors that may contribute to “bed rotting,” such as mental health issues, chronic pain, or fatigue. For some individuals, spending excessive time in bed may be a coping mechanism or a way to escape from the stresses and pressures of daily life.

While “bed rotting” may be framed negatively in mainstream discourse, it’s important to recognize that there are valid reasons why spending time in bed can be beneficial for some individuals. Here are a few reasons why bed rotting isn’t necessarily bad:

1. Rest and relaxation: In today’s fast-paced world, many people lead busy and stressful lives. Taking time to rest and relax in bed can be essential for recharging both physically and mentally. Whether it’s enjoying a leisurely morning lie-in on the weekend or taking a midday nap to combat fatigue, spending time in bed can help reduce stress levels and improve overall well-being.
  2. Self-care: Engaging in activities such as reading, journaling, or practicing mindfulness meditation while in bed can be valuable forms of self-care. These activities allow individuals to prioritize their mental and emotional health, fostering a sense of self-awareness and personal growth.
  3. Creativity and inspiration: For some people, their bed serves as a sanctuary where they feel most inspired and creative. Whether it’s brainstorming ideas for a new project, writing poetry, or sketching in a journal, spending time in bed can stimulate creativity and spark new insights and perspectives.
  4. Connection and intimacy: Bedtime can also be a time for connection and intimacy with loved ones. Whether it’s cuddling with a partner, reading bedtime stories to children, or simply sharing a conversation before drifting off to sleep, the bed can serve as a space for building and strengthening relationships.
  5. Flexibility and autonomy: In today’s remote work environment, many people have the flexibility to work from anywhere, including their bed. For individuals with chronic illnesses or disabilities that limit their mobility, spending time in bed may be a practical necessity rather than a choice. Embracing the autonomy to decide how and where to spend one’s time can empower individuals to prioritize their own needs and preferences.

Ultimately, whether spending time in bed is considered “bad” or not depends on the individual and their unique circumstances. While excessive sedentary behavior and poor sleep habits can have negative consequences for health and well-being, there are also times when bed rotting can be a valuable and necessary form of self-care and relaxation.

It’s important to approach the issue with nuance and understanding, recognizing that what works for one person may not work for another. By honoring our own needs and boundaries, we can cultivate a healthier and more balanced relationship with our beds.

Ariana (she/her) is a Puerto Rican majoring in psychology with a minor in English. She is currently the social media director of Her Campus at Florida International University. Hoping to gain more experience throughout her college career, Ariana is an ambitious writer who is ready to take on whatever lies ahead!