Veronique Koch Is Changing More Than Seas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Many people have dreams that they don’t pursue, but that was not the case for Veronique Koch. Veronique started her journey by attending the University of Stirling and receiving her Bachelor’s Degree in Marine Biology. Then, she continued her graduate studies at the University of Miami, but being in front of the camera also sparked her interest. She appeared in many local performances that made her believe she was born to be a star. She knew that it was a risky business to begin with so she stuck to her studies. However, she realized that she could have her cake and eat it too; and thus was a part of the well acclaimed team of “Changing Seas,” a public television series that takes you on a journey of marine science topics. The series was released in 2009 and has been expanding ever since. It tests the limits by reaching out to experts from around the globe to get their analysis firsthand.

Koch is an associate producer for the show and has been awarded three Emmy’s during her nine years of working with them team. Koch stated that “Changing Seas” is media with a purpose. In saying this, she means that the series has many interesting features but is still educating you about life under the sea. Their goal as a series is to educate people and make them aware of this resource to help better the environment of marine life since they are such a vital part of ecosystem. She is excited for future projects to come and where they will take her next.

The most important thing to take away from Koch is to follow your dreams no matter where they might lead you. Not many people are Science Communicators but Veronique broke boundaries and is now doing what she loves. By taking that chance, she is a critically acclaimed associate producer for an expanding series, three time Emmy winner and in doing all of that she continues to be a happy wife and mother. Koch is a true example of what it is to be living out your dream in a world full of obstacles. Do what you love and love what you do because this life is short and unexpected. Who knows, maybe you will be the next Veronique Koch.

All photography is courtesy of author Angela Cabrera.