books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Venezuelan Made, Puerto Rican Raised: Nirvana Araujo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

If you stumbled upon this article expecting to read about a ‘90s grunge band then think again because this Nirvana is much cooler. With her iconic pink hair and signature dread locks this 5-foot Boricua brings a little spice to FIU. If you’re ever around campus and happen to pass by a tiny person with a lot of energy and a loud speaker, no you are not hallucinating; chances are you’ve passed by her. Having been born in Venezuela and raised in Puerto Rico this Campus Cutie who came to Miami less than two years ago is taking the campus by storm and we can’t wait to see what she accomplishes next.

Name: Nirvana Denesse Araujo Tua

Year: Sophomore 

Major: Advertising

• Why did you choose to come to FIU?

I chose to come to FIU because I wanted something that was far away but close enough to my home in Puerto Rico. Also I liked that the environment in Miami was similar to that in PR because of the beaches and the Hispanic culture.

• What has been your proudest accomplishment thus far?

My biggest accomplishment has been the ability to survive living by myself. Also recently, I got an award for Most Involved and Street Team Member of the Year from the Student Programming Council. It meant a lot because it is an organization that is very important to me and I put a lot of time and effort into.

• Can you tell us about some of your involvements on campus?

As I mentioned, I am a street team member of the Student Programing Council, a member of the American Marketing Association. Recently I also became a part of the National Student Exchange program.

• What are your plans for the future?

I plan on graduating on time and accomplishing my dreams of traveling around the world while getting to know new cultures. I would also like to live in New York and work for BBDO (an advertising agency)

• What’s something that makes you unique?

I guess I would say that I don’t care what everyone else thinks about me, which allows me to be myself.

• How other people describe you?

People would describe me as spunky, colorful, happy, and carefree. Oh and the girl with dreadlocks and pink everything. 

Natalie is currently a Sophomore at FIU studying Journalism with a Minor in Marketing. As a young girl she always knew she wanted to be a writer and she continues to pursue those dreams at FIU. On her spare time she is very involved on campus in several organizations as well as an internship with FIU's Athletics Department. Her professional goals are to become a staff writer or anchor woman and her life goals are to make a difference in people's lives.