Valentines Day for the VERY Single You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Ladies… it’s that time of the year again! The times where all of us single ladies out in the world find the nearest cave to hide ourselves in. Not to fear! I am here to provide three classy yet sassy party ideas so you can dance the night away instead of cry the night away!

• James Bond Party

Although you are in mourning for the loss (absence) of your love life, tonight won’t be a night of sadness or tears! Everyone will be dressed in black looking for their own “James Bond” to fly away with…question is, do you have sufficient spy gear to get the job done?

• Texas M.A.S.H’em Party

This adult variation on a popular tween game relies on the game of Texas Hold ’em, though any poker game will do.

You’ll need a large piece of poster board and pictures of various celebrities of the appropriate gender (depending on your invitees’ preferences). You’ll need enough pictures for each category for the number of guests on your list. For example, if you have five guests, you’ll need five pictures under M, five under A, and so on. Make sure each celebrity’s best “assets” are shown in their best light.

In our version, the acronym stands for Marry–Avoid (because he’s a stalker)–Shag–Hug. Tape the required number of celeb photos in each category. After each hand of Texas Hold ’em (in which there are no chips, no one is allowed to fold and jokers are wild), each guest gets to choose from the categories (one per hand, starting with M and moving along from there for a total of four hands) in the order of highest hand to lowest.

Guests with jokers may choose to use the joker as a wild card and take their chances with another draw, or save it for a steal at the end of the game. In the end, each partygoer will have a brand new (and likely more exciting) romantic history.

You can play all night by having extra game boards featuring different celebrities, or spend the rest of the night creating wild stories about your misadventures with the new men in your Little Black Book.

Don’t forget, dress like you’re going to a Casino!

• Seductively Spooky Party

While St. Valentine was sainted for his commitment to love so strong he’d marry couples that were forbidden to take the vows, he met a rather grisly end when he was beheaded for his betrayal. Pay tribute to his commitment by throwing a Halloween-style costume party for singles only.

Skip the crazier Halloween decor extras and opt for a dimly lit local spot with raging music (nothing too romantic) and flashing lights. There should be plenty of room for dancing, and it should be at a place that’s not too loud, so you can mingle. You’re more likely to meet the man of your dreams when you’re celebrating being single, because he knows you’re a girl who’s awesome enough on her own.

Gals should wear their sexiest, sassiest or most adorable personas (devils, angels and everything in between), while the men should be asked to don a costume that truly conveys their romantic personality. No zombies or blood, just a lot of people in fanciful costumes that make them look great.

Remember at the end of the day, Valentine’s Day is what you make of it. Couples use it to do the things they should be doing all year round. Why should your night be any different?

Gabriela Millan is a Freshman at Florida International University studying Business Administration. She hopes to attend law school in New York City and graduate with a MBA and JD. Although she is still only beginning her collegiate journey, Gabriela believes it is important to be very involved on and off campus. She is an intern for the Student Government Association and a member of a Panhellenic organization.