This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

It’s that time of year again – final exam week. While it’s natural to feel a bit anxious or stressed during this time, I’ve collected several tips that can help you stay calm and focused.

My favorite relaxation technique is aromatherapy using essential oils! Aromatherapy has been shown to have a calming effect on the body and mind. Some essential oils that are known to be helpful for reducing stress and anxiety include lavender, bergamot, and ylang-ylang. You can diffuse them into your study space, or simply add a few drops to a tissue or cotton ball and inhale deeply.

Another helpful technique is mindfulness meditation. This involves focusing on the present moment and becoming aware of your thoughts and emotions without judgment. It might sound a bit out there, but by practicing mindfulness, you can train your mind to stay in the present moment and avoid becoming overwhelmed by worries about the future, or regrets about the past. Try this technique if you catch yourself overthinking about that final!

Engaging in regular physical activity can also be beneficial for reducing stress and anxiety. Exercise releases endorphins, which are natural chemicals that can help to boost your mood and promote feelings of well-being. Try taking a break from studying by doing a quick walk around the block; some gentle stretching can also help to ease tension and improve overall mood.

Make sure to prioritize self-care during this busy and stressful time. Get enough sleep, eat a healthy and balanced diet, and engage in activities that bring you joy and relaxation. As important as your finals may be, they will never be more important than your mental health. Take a break from studying to do something you enjoy, such as reading a book, taking a warm bath, or spending time with friends or family.

If you find that you’re really struggling with anxiety or stress, don’t hesitate to seek out support. Many universities (including FIU!) offer counseling services for students, and there are also online resources and apps available that can help you manage your mental health, such as SevenCups or TogetherAll.

By incorporating these holistic tips into your routine during final exam week, you can help to reduce feelings of anxiety and stress and promote a sense of calm and well-being. Remember to take care of yourself both mentally and physically, and know that you’re not alone in feeling a bit overwhelmed during this time. Good luck on your exams!

Junior pursuing a Marketing major and a Hospitality minor at FIU!