This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

No matter what you are majoring in, the beginning of a semester is difficult. Not knowing how to study for that first test, trying to juggle new amounts of course work, or whatever struggle students go through, many can say beginning a semester is the trickiest part. Now worse since we began our classes at Zoom University, we are completely new to this system of learning. It’s important to be constantly looking for new ways to improve your habits as a student. That’s why I am here to give you tips on Time Management and Study Habits for a successful semester.

Time Management: 

One of the best ways to manage your time is by scheduling your tasks and making to-do lists. Whether it’s a virtual calendar or an agenda you keep in your bag, writing down tasks that need to be done will help keep you accountable for what is due. Start your calendar/agenda by following these tips:

• Planning:

•  Set aside a specific day a week to add to your calendar any events,meetings, assignments, tasks, etc. that need to be done for the week.

•  Make planning a routine; try to keep up with it as much as possible.

•  Set a specific time everyday to look over your calendar

•  i.e look over it every morning during breakfast, or after getting dressed, when packing your bag, etc.

•  Schedule self care; with a busy schedule of a college student, it’s crucial to schedule some you time to promote healthy living.

• i. Ie. Getting a facial, scheduling a mani/pedi, reading time,taking a walk, etc.

•  Tasks:

•  Include classes, meetings, work schedule, events, study plans, and whatever else you think is important.

•  Color code so it is easier to visualize what your week consists of.

• Create Deadlines:

• Some tasks do require immediate deadlines, however for tasks that deadlines are further down the month or year, create small deadlines to keep yourself accountable and increase productivity.

• Make incentives to encourage meeting deadlines.

• ie. treat yourself to starbucks, more hours on netflix, etc.

• Daily To Do Lists:

• Creating Daily to do lists is very helpful in boosting productivity.

• Include any assignments, chores, projects, simple tasks with pressing deadlines.

• This encourages you to finish tasks by the end of the day.

Study Habits:

One way to relieve stress related to your classes is by creating a study plan. A

a study plan can help keep you on track and motivated to succeed in your classes and their exams.There are several different study plans that can be created but it’s important to create a study plan that works best for you. Don’t be afraid to try a couple of different methods until you find one that best suits your class material and your own learning style. Here are a couple of examples.

• Study schedule:

• Schedule chapters/ sections you should study each day before an exam.

• Keeps you motivated and accountable.

• Gives you enough time to review complete material.

• Write it into your calendar or agenda.

• Improve Note Taking:

• Outline Notes:

• Use key points.

•  Highlight important information.

• Write a summary section at the end of each lecture.

•  Mind map:

•  More visual form of note taking.

•  Make connections.

•  Uses branches to connect different concepts.

•  Write on slides:

• Print out the professors slides (If possible) before class.

• Write key points during lectures corresponding to each slide.

• Bullet journal style.

• Take quick notes in class.

• With time use a journal and rewrite notes with doodles, colors.

• Weekly study groups:

• Plan weekly meetings

• Plan what sections/chapters you will review.

• Teaching is the best way to learn, try to lead group.

• Reviewing material after class:
    • Rewrite notes after lecture.

• Record lecture and listen after.

All of these tips can make your semester a whole lot easier. Getting into these healthy time management and study habits can take off unnecessary stress, making the semester easier and more enjoyable for you.

Hi everyone! My name is Mariana Montoya and I am a Biomedical Engineer major here at FIU. I love advocating for women in STEM and I am so excited I get to do just that on HerCampus.