This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In light of the recent tragic events of Travis Scott’s Astroworld concert in Houston, here are some important and life-saving tips to keep in mind for your next concert.

Concerts are supposed to be a fun time to watch your favorite artist perform. Not to mention, everyone is singing and dancing all around you. There are still some things you must take into consideration when you go to the concert. Here are some tips on how to ensure you have a fun and safe time at a concert.

When you go alone:

• Share your location to your family and close friends.
  • Change your automated voicemail message and say your name, last known location, and time.
  • If you feel like you’re in a difficult or dangerous situation, tell the security staff or invest in a safety alarm to get people attention on you.
  • Help remove people from a delicate situation. Pretend to know the person to get them out of it.
  • Try to find a group of people that you could rely on during the event.

When you’re in a group:

• You and your friends should share your location with other people.
  • Stick together and set up a location on where to meet if you guys get separated.
  • If someone is alone, try to get them to go along with your group so they can feel comfortable and safe.

Sometimes things get out of control and a concert turns into a terrifying experience. No one should have to experience something like that. Recently people have lost their lives and got severely injured at the Astroworld Festival. Though there were very few things people can do to get out of the situation, there are some things you can do that could make a difference:

• Try to get the staff’s attention: Unfortunately, that was very difficult to do in the festival as people who were trying to stop the festival to prevent more people from getting hurt were being ignored or booed at.
  • Learn CPR: You might think that you’ll never use it but in the Astroworld Festival it was severely needed.
  • Help people: In the Astroworld Festival, people were getting trampled as people rushed to the stage. It’s a dangerous situation but you should help them get up and try to get them to safety. 

There’s only so much you could do to guarantee you or someone else’s safety at an event. It’s up to the artist, event promoters, and security to ensure everyone’s safety.

Rest In Peace to the 8 people that lost their lives in Astroworld Festival and hope for a safe recovery for everybody that was injured. 

Chelsea Alexandra Marino is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism. She is also pursuing a certificate in music business. Her passions include music, soccer, video games, and Marvel movies.