photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Wellness

Things That’ll Brighten Your Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

There is something about spring semesters that leave every student lifeless.  It’s as if while the plants, trees, and the fauna life of Miami are thriving off the spring bloom, college students happiness is sucked out. The halls of FIU are, in other words, filled with ‘White Walkers.‘  Thankfully, the spring semester is finally coming to its end. All the pent up stress and anxiety from finals are almost gone. Ok, well, maybe there is still is a tad bit of anxiousness lingering in the air from the waiting of final grades, but that will soon be gone too. Just breathe and relax or busy yourself enough to calm down. If that doesn’t help then here are some small things/ tips that will brighten your day, even if it’s a little giggle. 

1.  Draw out your feeling(s).

Drawing out your pent up emotion(s) is very therapeutic.  It doesn’t have to be a Frida Khalo masterpiece, but draw something out. Go to your local Dollar Tree and get one of those coloring books and crayons. The goal is, letting your emotions flow out of the drawing utensil.

2. Listening to some Classic Hits. 

[URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0&list=PLpuDUpB0osJmZQ0a3n6imX…

Let’s be honest; the early 2000s were a simpler time. Heck, it was beyond its time.  It was the time when both music God/dess Apollo and Mousai said, “open the gates” and fluttering down came the Cheetah girls, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Fergie, and  The Jonas Brothers.  Listening to any of the early 2000’s bops will instantly make you jump up to your feet, sing along to the words and make you dance.  If you’re going to be sad then why not listen to “The Climb, ” from Miley Cyrus and sing with your whole heart? 

3. ” A leisurely stroll is a gift,”– Travers from Saving Mr. Banks.

Do yourself and your body a favor, go out and as you walk leave your stress behind. You can choose to either walk around your block with or without music, that is your choice, but as you take your stroll, make sure to look at your surroundings. Take in the smell of the leaves, the noise of the environment, pretend you’re a forest fairy and be one with nature. Let the sun hit you and allow your body to soak up its sunshine. Haven’t you seen how happy those Disney princesses are when they’re out in nature? that can be you. 

4. Pamper yourself

You don’t have to go out to a spa to pamper yourself.  Have yourself a little spa day. It’s easy, all you need is your go-to Spotify playlist, some facial masks, a robe (if you don’t have one, that’s okay wear your cutest PJ’s), your essential oil diffuser, nail polish, a glass of cold water and to create the authentic spa water, cut up some fruits and put it in your drink. If you don’t have essential oils, you can go to FIU’s Health & Fitness office and get yourself your monthly aromatherapy.  (Tip:  Leave your fav oil open to create the same effects as an essential oil diffuser. If you have more than one open it’s even better!) 

5.  Eat your favorite food/ snack. 

[URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDKh-1Qlfjk]

Yes, summer is just around the corner but that shouldn’t mean you should exclude your favorite snacks or food. Treat yourself, in a moderate amount, to one or the other. Allowing yourself to take a bite of the deliciousness will bring instant happiness. In the words of ever Snickers commercial, “you’re not you when you’re hungry.”

6. Fake Smile

This one sounds dumb, but when you wake up, don’t go directly to your phone. Instead, do your morning routine and when you are face to face with a mirror smile. It might be awkward to do so at first, but in the long run, you’ll be used to it. If you want to go an extra mile, each night write to yourself a little note of gratitude, a witty joke, or a pick-up line and place it on top of your phone. That way, when your instincts go for your phone you pick up the note instead. If it helps, go print out a picture of something or someone who makes you smile. 

7.  Re-watch classic Vine’s.

Vine is comedy gold. It’s simplicity, stupidity, and ingenuity was everything! Sadly, it was yet another thing beyond its time. Fortunately for us, YouTube exists. So, go on YT and watch the many compilations on there. There is nothing better than seeing some senseless video that makes no sense whatsoever. 

8.  Going to the beach.

Take advantage of Miami’s warm weather. Go to your beach and have fun by yourself or with a group of friends. Danish writer, Karen Blixen, once said that “the cure for anything is salt water– sweat tears or the sea.”  Let the salt water clean your soul, let it soak up all the negative energy you have been caring around.

Stephanie Almendares is currently a student at Florida International University majoring in Mass communication-Journalism while also getting a Film Certificate. She enjoys watching plays, reading books--some which she's already read more then 10 times-- and learning about crystals and astrology.