There’s hope for the DCEU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.
DC superhero t shirt?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Photo by Kristina Paukshtite from Pexels

It’s no surprise that DC Expanded Universe is favorite among fans. Yet there’s still comparisons between the MCU and the DCEU. Each have their own respected universes and stories they want to tell and show fans. So, why the comparison? Well, DC fans tend to get disappointed with some of its films. Many weren’t content with the Justice League as it got negative reviews from critics and fans. Suicide Squad didn’t get the best results either as most people agree that the best thing to come out of that movie was Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie). 

Yet, DCEU fans hope that the future movies can live up to the fan’s expectations. Zack Snyder’s Justice League and James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad do just that. 

Zach Snyder’s Justice League gave fans the story Snyder wanted to show in the 2017 theatrical version. Snyder couldn’t do that in 2017 as he had to step down for personal issues and Joss Whedon took over during postproduction. “Justice League” left fans confused as it didn’t look like there was even a need for a league. The humor felt forced and out of place in the film. Fans and the actors pressured Warner Bros. to #ReleasetheSnyderCut and it was released on HBO Max in 2021. Snyder’s version brought in more complex storylines for the heroes. The Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) became more crucial characters throughout the movie. The movie provided insight as to why Steppenwolf went after the Mother Boxes and brought a bigger evil that had a more sinister plan in mind. It gave the movie a darker and violent tone. The finale raised the stakes and ended with a cliffhanger that opens an opportunity for future titles. This was the version that fans wanted to see in theatres and wants it to be considered canon in the DCEU.

Now onto David Ayer’s “Suicide Squad” that gave anti-heroes the spotlight. Ayer’s movie didn’t hit the mark for fans. As Warner Bros wanted this movie to have a lighter feel as they saw the negative reviews from “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.” Besides Deadshot (Will Smith) and Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie), fans didn’t get much of a connection to them. It felt like the rest of the team were side characters. Joker (Jared Leto) wasn’t really needed in the film except when it came to Harley. So, when Warner Bros. saw an opportunity to rebrand it, they got James Gunn. James Gunn’s “The Suicide Squad” is different from the 2016 film as it was full of life and death at the same time. Gunn did work on the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, so he already knew how to band a group of misfits together and convey a deeper message. Throughout the film, fans can see the group becoming a team throughout the film. Every character had a moment to shine and fans had a chance to connect with them. Gunn did advise fans not to get attached to any of these characters. He was right but fans still got attached.

With the positive feedback these films have gotten, DC fans have hope that future films will follow in these footsteps. DC fans shouldn’t lose hope, it’s only getting better for them.

You can watch James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad in theaters and Zack Snyder’s Justice League on HBO Max.

Chelsea Alexandra Marino is a senior at Florida International University, majoring in journalism. She is also pursuing a certificate in music business. Her passions include music, soccer, video games, and Marvel movies.