Taylor Swift Concert Photo 2
Taylor Swift Concert Photo 2
Original photo by Kayla Melendez

Taylor Swift: A True Mastermind

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Like every teenage girl, I grew up listening to Taylor Swift. Lyrics to songs like You Belong with Me, We Are Never Getting Back Together, and Cruel Summer are now ingrained in my brain, having stuck with me since first hearing them. But in 2020, after the pandemic hit, I realized that Taylor Swift was more than a just a popstar with catchy lyrics; she was a lyricist and poet. Her albums FolkloreEvermore, and eventually Midnights were where I would grow to love her and although I’m (very) late to the Swiftie fandom, I never looked back after joining.

When it was announced that her Eras Tour would be coming to Florida, I knew I had to at least try to get tickets, even if it meant nosebleed seats. It was no easy feat, as I spent four hours glued to my laptop the day tickets were releasing, watching the Ticketmaster queue move incredibly slowly. As luck would have it, I secured night two of her Tampa shows and knew I was in for what would become one of the most amazing concerts I’ve attended.

From the minute I entered the Raymond James Stadium, I could tell the night was going to be filled with excitement. Amongst the puffy hues of pinks and lilacs and various cowboy boots were fans who would spend the night screaming Taylor’s most famous verses. It was clear that Taylor was excited to perform nearly four years after Lover was released, since touring had been postponed during lockdown.

The show opened with songs from this album and continued with back-to-back hits coming from all her albums, including Fearless (Taylor’s Version), Reputation, and Red (Taylor’s Version). For a full three hours, fans were not only hearing Taylor perform with perfect vocals (she took no breaks) but also, watching the spectacle that was The Eras Tour. There were perfectly choreographed dance routines, a plethora of new visuals, and outfits that were unique to the night’s performance. Ignoring the drama that surrounded her private relationship with actor Joe Alwyn, the singer instead remained present with the audience, sharing stories of her time on tour so far and inspirations for songs like Betty. One tradition of the Eras Tour has been Taylor’s choice of “surprise songs” that are not included on the set list. To Twitter’s excitement, fans at Tampa night two were surprised with both The Great War and You’re on Your Own Kid. Since she has such a wide range of songs to pick from, songs for each tour night have been different. The second night in Tampa was no exception, but went above and beyond what was expected when she brought out surprise guest Aaron Desner, her friend and collaborator who worked with her on FolkloreEvermore, and her rerecorded albums. As the two harmonized, the audience knew how lucky they were to be there.

Walking out of the concert, it was clear that everyone there was going to feel the post-concert blues. For months, the idea of going to The Eras Tour has possessed a certain tone of superiority among those who secured tickets. Amidst the Ticketmaster drama that has affected concertgoers for years—including Swifties and more recently Beyhive members—fans did not take their attendance for granted. I left feeling so impressed and inspired by all the positive energy that surrounded me at the concert from fans young and old that I knew I would do nothing but listen to her songs on the drive home to Miami. Taylor knew The Great War her fans went through to secure tickets and made sure her concert would do nothing but leave them all feeling Enchanted.

Kayla Melendez is a senior studying English Literature at FIU. Upon graduation, she hopes to teach secondary education or obtain a freelance position writing about topics like books, films, tv shows, and all things pop culture. If she’s not studying or working, you can find her reading or updating her Letterboxd account.