States With a Side of Beckham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Imagine the dignity and excitement of being a part of helping your high school bring home their very first state championship title. Now imagine those feelings and double them, because among your many congratulators is David Beckham. To South Florida’s Palmer Trinity school this was a reality last Friday in their gymnasium. The school has yet to take home a single state championship in any sport until having defeated Tallahassee Maclay in a 2-1 overtime game. 

These were not the only champions to receive a surprise visit; The state’s other champions for women’s soccer, from of Our Lady of Lourdes Academy, also got the chance to meet and shake hands with the star. Although the school has won championships before this is their first as far as major sports. 

The surprise school visits are the first that Beckham has made in Miami, but they surely won’t be the last. The former pro soccer player has been a part of a long plan to try to bring MLS, Major League Soccer, to Miami and his and his partners’ work has finally been paid off. With plans of a 200 million dollar, 25,000 seat stadium to be built in Overtown, get ready to see a lot more soccer and a lot more Beckham in Miami!

source 1, source 2