SPRING Into Mindfulness This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

As the fall semester came to an end, most of us could not wait to pack our bags and get on the first plane out of Miami. Now, as we return for the spring semester, anxiety is an unwanted baggage we wish we had left behind. For most college students, the thought of a new semester and a brand new schedule brings about a lot of negative/anxious thoughts, resulting in negative energy. The key to getting a SPRING into the right direction this semester is by practicing the simple art of mindfulness.

Mindfulness is “ a state of active, open attention, on the present. Mindfulness means living in the moment and awakening to experience.” Mindfulness is something that is extremely beneficial for college students; it diverts our anxiety of the past or future, and helps us focus on the calm of our present moment. Some of the best health benefits are decreased stress and anxiety levels, improvements in concentration, and overall emotional well-being. Here are 5 simple ways to get you started in the right direction!

1.   Walking: Take a step back from your busy day and go for a walk! Become aware of your sensations during your break. Admire and enjoy your surroundings. Disconnect and enjoy a few stress free minutes of just being present in that moment.

2.   Set the phone/computer aside: without even realizing it, most of our anxiety comes from all of our unanswered text messages and emails about things we need to do, or places we need to be. Constantly being attached to technology takes away from enjoying our present moment. Try stepping away from your phone or computer for at least an hour a day!

3.   Be kind to yourself and others: The best way to feel comforted in any stressful situation is to comfort yourself. Being kind and patient with yourself allows you to better understand and find a solution to your current situation. Being kind to others is equally as important and beneficial.

4.   Meditate: The first step on learning awareness is being able to sit with our thoughts and concentrate only on our present moment. This may be very challenging in the beginning, however there are apps such as Headspace and Meditation Timer Pro that are extremely helpful!

5.   Keep Practicing: Mindfulness is not something achieved over night. We will not suddenly wake up feeling like we will flow effortlessly through life. It takes a lot of practice, patience, and dedication! So make sure to follow these five simple steps, and you will be headed in the right direction to a stress free semester!