This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Being in quarantine means enforcing social distancing. While some people are fortunate and can stay at home with their family, others are not as lucky. People need human interactions, and in this time of isolation, they need acts of kindness now more than ever. 

Messages of Love and Kindness

Sending kind messages through text or email is incredibly easy! People can find beautiful posts online, or write something from the heart and send it to the people they care about. Even sending small greetings and asking people how they are, wishing them well, or starting a conversation with them is a simple way to maintain relationships from a distance. FaceTime, Zoom, and any video chatting service is another way people can connect, catch up, and spread kindness. If people are alone at home, then they should speak with their loved ones as often as they can.

Joey How You Doin
Giphy

Give Generous Gifts 

Due to this time in self-isolation, people are celebrating their birthdays indoors and possibly alone. Friends can record themselves and say some kind words to send it to the birthday gal. It is a gift they will not expect but will surely love. Also, security guards, garbage truck workers, law enforcement, doctors, and many other people are still required to work. Leaving a care package for them or even a water bottle or a thank you card for their hard work can lift their spirits.

thank you note with pen, gift, cookies, and flowers
Pexels / Giftpundits.com

Lend a Virtual Hand

Businesses are closing every day, and for some, that means risking their chances to stay open. To lend a hand, people can buy gift cards from them, open a GoFundMe, or support them in any way. Small businesses fear having to close down permanently, so acts of kindness can go a long way. Also, the elderly are the people who most need help nowadays. Everything is switching to online, and although some stores are dedicating a few hours to them, they should avoid going outside at all. One way to make life a little easier for them is to help them order their groceries online. A phone call and help ordering from companies like Instacart will allow the elderly to stay indoors and limit their risk of exposure to COVID-19. The elderly have paved the path for the young to live their best lives. Now, it is today’s youth who can give back however they can. 

online shopping with credit card
Shopify Partners

Help keep people connected and happy while enforcing social distancing by spreading kindness in any way you can think of. COVID-19 has put an unexpected bump in most people’s lives, but staying in communication with others and helping when possible from home is how we will come out of this quarantine even stronger than we were before.

Andrea Leyva is a student at Florida International University, majoring in Communications. Her interests include learning about the behind the scenes of movies and tv shows, reading, and listening to music. She also enjoys hanging out with friends, watching plays, going to theme parks, and traveling. Andrea is very excited to share what she is passionate about through her articles!