This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Though it may be a surprise to the average person’s ear, the ballet world has had a rough year. Whether or not you have been affected directly or indirectly by the loss of the most renown ballet company in the United States, and in the world, here is a rundown of what has been going on.

Modern day ballet is almost exactly the same as to how it was when it first started in by Louis the XIV 15th century. The choreography, costumes, music, stories, and makeup have been preserved as much as possible to the original works; works that back to as far as 1804. Quite sadly, something else that has not changed, and that is the way women are treated in the world of ballet. 

From the outside, it is all about the ballerina, her presentation, performance, endurance, and even her feet, but it is because of this that a lot of times these women are just thrown around (sometimes literally, in the dancing sense). They are abused verbally, physically, and now the one that has finally come to light, sexually, and it is not just women who are speaking up about this. Earlier this year, the scandal of the New York City Ballet’s artistic director, Peter Martins, was brought to light. He was accused of sexually harassing dancers in his company. This is the man who has shaped the company into the Modern wonder it is today for over 30 years, giving the company its repertoire of over 400 ballets since 2010. Approximately 60 ballets are performed in each annual season. He has continued to deny “that he has engaged in any such misconduct” and the former director has “decided” to resign. 

The scandal did not stop there. Three weeks from the start of it’s fall season, City Ballet has received three more alleged sexual misconduct accusations, and by some of the top dancers in the company. Three of the accused are principal dancers, Chase Finlay, Amar Ramasar, and Zachary Catazaro, and will not be performing in this upcoming season. Clearly, the ballet company is taking these accusations very seriously because they are all being investigated. Two of the dancers Ramasar and Catazaro have been suspended without pay until the start of the new year in 2019. As for Finlay, he has declined to respond to the accusations and resigned the following week of the statement release. 

Sexual assault is everywhere nowadays, even in the most unexpected places like behind the scenes of ballet studio rehearsals, hiding in between tutu ruffles and five minute stage cues. It is something that has been brought to many peoples attention now and the Board of New York City Ballet is handling it in the correct manner and should be an example to those in other forms of business whether it may be modeling, a large corporate business company, a restaurant, or even a school board. The #metoo act has helped many brave people to stand up and share their story, including those of ballet companies across the country (including City Ballet), and if you or a loved one has been exposed to what you think could have been sexual assault, don’t be afraid to share your story. There are so many of that have been exposed so something so brutal, sometimes at a very young age, and coming out and sharing your story can help bring awareness and stop it from happening to many others. Sexual assault is everywhere, and it is up to us to stop it, if not for the sake of you, for or your friends, for the sake of your children, grandchildren, and the women of the world.

Hi, I'm Mia! (Some call me Mimi). I am a staff writer and photographer for Her Campus. I joined because I believe that finding your voice and being able to express what you think is so important and I'm excited to get the opportunity to share mine! I'm an Arts school kid that studied ballet and attended middle and high school with my life revolving around the arts and I am happy to be able to continue it with Her Campus FIU through writing and photography!