Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Real Life Parallelism in Netflix’s Sex Education Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Sex Education is British comedy-drama series on Netflix that follows the stories of several teenagers as they explore sexual dilemmas and their own sexualities. The series just came out with their third season, and it was difficult not to see how the show so clearly reflects a lot of the issues that surround our reproductive health and rights.

Ways To Love Your Vagina
Adebusola Abujade / Her Campus Media

One of the main issues that Sex Education covers is the lack of information on sex that is provided to high school students and how this can negatively impact them. According to Planned Parenthood, less than half of high schools in the US teach all of the sixteen sex education topics recommended by the CDC. Similar to Moordale Secondary School’s approach in the series, a lot of American high schools focus on scaring students away from having sex instead of actually providing all of the information to practice it safely. This method is ineffective and basically goes against sex positivity, something that can negatively affect teenagers and their ability to explore their own bodies.

“We shouldn’t be shamed for having sexual desires. You make sex sound terrifying, but it doesn’t have to be. It can be fun and beautiful and teach you things about yourself and your body.”

Maeve Wiley, Sex Education, Season 3: Episode 4

Schools also typically only focus on teaching heterosexual sex, failing to be inclusive towards all students and all identities. The CDC revealed that only 48% of American high schools teach LGBTQ+ topics, leaving most schools without any form of sex education for LGBTQ+ youths. This is something that is also seen in Sex Education as queer students question their teachers on safe gay sex methods and the teachers don’t really know how to answer them. Season 3 of the series even covers the issues that non-binary people face as schools refuse to acknowledge their needs and the difficulties they face as the school presents binary systems in regards to uniforms, bathrooms, changing rooms, etc. This is a current issue that many schools are going through and are reluctant to address or provide any education on.

Sex Education also dedicates an entire episode to abortion and the importance of having a choice. It showcases the emotionally draining aspects of the process, such as the protestors standing outside the clinics and the judgment that is received. However, the show clearly highlights the fact that she had every right to come to this choice – something that is at risk now for women all over the US as Texas employs their abortion ban law, marking the end of the federal protection that was provided for women and their right to abort.

Sex Education is an entertaining show to watch and has so many amazing characters that make us feel seen and comfortable in our sexual identities, but the show’s magic comes from its ability to reflect real life issues that threaten our reproductive rights, providing education and awareness on topics that our actual schools might not be covering.

Rachel is currently an English Major at Florida International University. She loves fashion, movies, books, and theater. Her dream is to move to California and work for a publishing company while she auditions for acting roles on the side. The arts are her passion, and this includes writing! If you ever want to discuss any of these things with her, feel free to reach her at her Instagram @rachelglez.