PUBLIC: There’s More To Music Than Going Viral.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Meet the Band.

If you were looking for a new band to add to your playlists, PUBLIC is definitely it. The pop rock trio consisting of John Vaughn, Matt Alvarado, and Ben Lapps started out in Ben’s parents’ basement in Cincinnati, Ohio. With over a decade of recording under their wings, the band has developed its own unique pop – rock – disco sound. John (guitar/ vocals), Ben (percussion), and Matt (bass/ vocals), followed the inspiration of Led Zeppelin, The Killers, ABBA, and Earth, Wind, and Fire as they embarked on their musical journey to make a Splash in the industry.

perfect tiktok timing.

In late 2019, PUBLIC’s single, Make You Mine, went viral on TikTok and put the band’s name on the map. Heartwarming content of proposals (and even puppies) flooded the quick-video platform as the band’s track served as audio. In a time where TikTok dictates success in the music industry, there seems to be a sense of pressure put on musicians to fit a certain image and sound. PUBLIC unapologetically owns their sound as they don’t give in to the pressures of viral 15 second sound bites. Rather than just be defined by one moment, the band found a way to use that time in the spotlight to create new tracks like Honey In The Summer and Missing You Today.  

@espn

His team’s reaction to his proposal will always be incredible. 🙌👏 (via @isaac6parks/Instagram)

♬ Make You Mine – PUBLIC

what’s to come.

If I’m being Honest, there’s no doubt that PUBLIC is way more than just another Pretty Face. It’s hard not to groove to PUBLIC’s music, but it’s even harder not be fans of this fun-loving, talented trio. During their press conference with °1824, John shared a quote that definitely described the reason why Make You Mine went viral in the first place – “Good music will always shine through in some way.” As the music industry is ever-evolving, artists will feel the need to release music that will only provide them with fame. This is why PUBLIC makes good music. PUBLIC makes music, not because of fame, but because it is something they love. While ultimately staying true to themselves in the TikTok times, the band wants “to release the best songs they have,” rather than conform to one specific genre or vibe, as they stated in the press conference with °1824. The band has also made it known that they have new music on the way, but that the creative process in creating these new songs has changed as they’ve had time to reflect during the pandemic. The trio stated that songwriter Scott Harris, has “pushed (them) to start writing from a lyrical perspective instead of an instrumental perspective.” John, Matt, and Ben share such an incredible dynamic that there is no denying that the future of their music and career as a band will be phenomenal as they each bring their own interests and talents to the table.

“Good music will always shine through in some way.”

John Vaughn – Lead Singer and Guitarist for PUBLIC

keep up with PUBLIC:

Website

Instagram

Twitter

Facebook

TikTok

Youtube

Spotify

I'm Jacqueline Flores Figueras, but most people call me 'Jackie'. I am currently in my second year of college at Florida International University as a Journalism and Pre-Law student. I am an Aquarius born of Cuban and Nicaraguan heritage in Miami, FL. Connect with me on Instagram @jacquelinefloress !!