This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

We’re living in a time where slowly but surely old school conservative ideals and constructs are being diminished and laid to rest. Young people and millennials are the engine force to this new movement of change, acceptance, and a rhetoric of equality and justice we’re seeing build its momentum today. One of the biggest influencers and trailblazers of this movement is the powerhouse Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. 

Born and raised in the Bronx with a Puerto Rican background, AOC is the youngest woman ever to be a part of the United States Congress. Through an undeniable hard worth ethic, perseverance, and bold moves, AOC has shifted the stage for women and minorities everywhere. What sets aside AOC from other politicians is that she doesn’t try to be a politician. She is truly a public servant, activist, and takes the term congresswoman for what it’s supposed to be. Electing a congresswoman means that this person is meant to represent you in the Federal government. The issue that tends to arise is people in Congress being easily persuaded on issues for sole personal financial gain or elitist ranks. AOC has never been one made of money. She came from a working-class family and worked her way through life like the average American and unlike many American politicians. 

During her first campaign in 2018, AOC was working as a bartender and waitress. She didn’t have the financial or social ranking advantage of her opponent and then incumbent, but she defeated the odds. By winning the 2018 primaries against a ten-term incumbent, AOC proved that money and power don’t go hand in hand with success. She won by running with the people she was representing, not by being above them. What seems to be missing in political leaders nowadays is being relatable. If someone is going to run to preserve the rights of people and let their voices be heard, they need to understand where these voices are coming from, to begin with. AOC ran a campaign in which she used her own experience and upbringing to voice the concerns of her district and fortify her agenda. 

AOC can be seen as one of the most inspiring and impactful feminist icons of our decade. Women in politics have always had a socially constructed framework of the dos and don’ts of what women can do. What once was a house and senate full of men, now sees the trickling in of women sprinkling their knowledge and leadership skills among us. There are a certain “look” and guidelines for women who run for office. They are told to keep their looks “simple” and “classy” to not be overbearing. AOC walked into DC with heels, red lipstick, and hoops. This gesture that seems so small to be even talked about was a badass power move that sent a message to everyone in Washington. AOC was not here to be told what to do or how to act. She was going to do things her way while still being a prominent and legitimate congresswoman. 

AOC is a force to be reckoned with and someone that this generation can look up to. Young people need to enter politics and be the change they want to see. We can’t keep letting other generations make decisions that affect us and our futures. Young people have the knowledge, character, and passion to make a change. With leaders like AOC making their mark and fighting for a future with equality, fairness, and opportunities for all America has a chance to be that pinnacle of success stories.

I'm a senior at FIU, majoring in Criminal Justice on the Pre-Law track. My goal is to one day go to law school and become a lawyer. I love to read mystery and thriller books that keep me guessing. I am an advocate for our generation being a catalyst to social justice. You could say Elle Woods is who I channel in life.