Panther’s Got Talent Winners: Phi Mu Alpha

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Phi Mu Alpha are the new kids on the block! Not only are they a handsome bunch, they are also musicians! Having recently won Panther’s Got Talent, their savvy musical skills have taken FIU by storm. You can always find them performing during Big/Little week, Homecoming week and at various special events throughout the school year. This week we interviewed Joshua Walton, a brother of Phi Mu Alpha.

What’s Phi Mu Alpha all about?

So to keep it simple, we are a fraternity of brothers who have a passion for music. One of our main goals being to advance music in America, we do a lot of philanthropies like performing for schools and people who are stuck in hospitals and nursing homes, hosting free concerts, and creating platforms for people to share their music/art with students on campus and the community.

Wow that’s awesome! What is your favorite event that Phi Mu Alpha hosts?

Our Valentines Day concert would have to be my favorite event. It’s a free concert for anyone to watch as well as participate in. It’s great to see and to work with all of the talent that comes out of our own school.

(
After serenading a Delta Phi Epsilon Little during Big/Little week)

So what are some of the songs you played at this past Valentines Day event?

Fallin’ by Alicia Keys, Somebody That I Use to Know by Gotye and Roses by Andre 3000,  just to name a few.

By the way congrats on Panther’s Got Talent, how did it feel to win first place?

It felt awesome! That was something we had been trying to participate in for a while and for many different reasons we weren’t able to participate in it. The year that we finally get to perform, we won!

(Perfoming on stage at Panther’s Got Talent) 

How did you guys celebrate afterwards?

Ha-ha, well most of us were in the marching band so we didn’t really have time to celebrate we just “enjoyed” the rest of homecoming.

How would you describe the brotherhood that you all share besides the obvious  passion that you all have for music ?

Wow, we have a special kind of relationship. It’s unlike many other kind mainly because we are all very different people with different backgrounds, personalities, likes and dislikes, and goals but it’s because we have become a brotherhood that we help each other along with the many trials that life throws at us. We put aside the differences and our own personal agendas to work towards a goal that we all agree on.

Would you say that when you all perform on stage together, the brotherhood feel more powerful? (Or something of the sort?)

Every musician has a responsibility. Most people don’t realize the power that music has. It can evoke emotions, thoughts, ideas, memories, and communicates to whoever may be listening. Anyone who can perform and catch the attention of the audience has, in a way, power. Whether or not they realize it, music can change things. As far as coming together, one man alone can only do so much, but if two or three come together on the same page, they could move mountains.

(Poetry In Motion Event with members of Miami.FM) 

What is Phi Mu Alpha’s ultimate goal?

To speak on behalf of the fraternity, I can only quote, but that doesn’t meant I don’t believe it wholeheartedly. “The Object of this Fraternity shall be for the development of the best and truest fraternal spirit; the mutual welfare and brotherhood of musical students; the advancement of music in America and a loyalty to the Alma Mater.”

Want to nominate our next Campus Celebrity? Find out how here!

Laura Hernandez is the founder of Her Campus FIU.  She is currently a junior and is majoring in Political Science, Women's Studies and International Relations. She is also passionate about writing and communications. Laura thinks that Her Campus FIU is the perfect way to connect with collegiettes at FIU's commuter campus.