This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

In high school, you probably had a group of friends. People who would walk you to class, get lunch with you, help you study, and go out with you on weekends, but it’s very possible when summer ended and freshman year of college started that group of people scattered around the country, so what now? I know how hard it is make new-close friends in college. Yes, you’re surrounded by hundreds of people at all times and you may talk to many of them, but forming close bonds can be hard at times. Especially at FIU, where many people already have their circle of friends from before starting university. What is the next step to making friends in college? 

You’ve probably heard of Bumble before, an online dating app where girls make the first move. What you might not be familiar with is Bumble’s BFF mode. This part of the app is where girls go to… you guessed it, make friends! You start off by making a profile, much like online dating, except the questions are a little different. For example, are you a local or new to town? Are you looking for a gym partner or someone to have a girls night out with? Once you’ve carefully curated your profile and added some pictures it’s time to swipe!

Just going to let you know right now, you’re not going to get a whole ton of matches instantly. It’s not personal. It’s just not as easy as the dating mode of bumble, but you will get matches.

This leads us to the next step, saying hi! Now that you’ve mutually decided you want to get to know each other, it’s time to talk. Bumble only gives you 24 hours after you match to start up a conversation, so pick out your favorite GIF, or BFF pickup line and get to typing. After talking, it up to you if you want to keep in contact or if you just weren’t feeling it.

Maybe you use Bumble BFF and meet your new girl gang, or maybe you don’t, but there’s absolutely no shame in using this app to try to do so. College can be very lonely so knowing there’s a place you can go and talk to people can be comforting. Even if you already have a group of friends, there’s no harm in meeting some new people. Give it a try, you might meet your new BFF!

Amanda is a Sophomore on the Premed track. When she's not studying or writing you can find her at the nearest coffee shop reading the latest book or shopping with friends.