My (Not So) Strange Addiction

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

I have had a serious problem since I was around 4 years old and I am finally ready to talk about it. I am addicted to… dogs! Loving dogs specifically. Big dogs, small dogs, fat dogs, skinny dogs I love them all no matter how ugly them may seem to others. This probably isn’t what you were expecting to read, but I know I am not the only one who feels this way about animals.

Do you ever catch yourself scrolling through dog memes and realize 20 minutes have passed?

Do you grab your dog and squeeze them to your body even though they struggle to get away from your embrace?

Do you refer to your dogs as your “babies” or “children” and then are confused when people think you are a teen mom?

If you answered yes to these questions then I am sorry to tell you, but you are likely addicted to dogs just like I am. If you answered no, then you could stop reading here if you want to because now I will just continue on my rant about all the things I love about dogs and how they help me mentally.

I was blessed to always grow up around dogs, and when I was around 14 or 15 I came home one day and found a little black puppy in my room and thus began the story of how I love dogs more than myself most days. Of course the tears came, and my adoration over his little face and also the sighs of annoyance when he would eat my socks, but at the end of the day I found my best friend and brother in this dog. Chief Justice was his name and he quickly grew into a very tall horse like animal. He was the best thing to come home to after an exciting day at school or a promotion at work, but he was even better at consoling me when my boyfriend broke up with me or anything made me sad. Dogs can feel our emotions on their own kind of level and Chief always knew when I needed snuggles or my tears to be licked away. You should have seen him when I was sick! He was my own nurse and had to keep his eyes on me by resting his head on my shoulder. Chief Justice started my true love for animals and when I rescued my second dog, Lady Justice I knew my heart was in trouble. Lady Justice knew just how to wiggle her way into your heart and since day 1 her eyes got her whatever she wanted.

Not only my dogs but all dogs bring life to this world. I love to fuel my addiction and my favorite page on Facebook is called “Doggo.” You can hear me at least twice a day laughing at how funny the pictures and comments are. Here is the link in case you want to check it out for yourself.

Dogs are such pure creatures that give us all their love because we are their whole world and I am 100% fine with being addicted to loving such amazing animals. My family has put up with and often times encouraged my addiction by helping me spend hours helping lost dogs on the side of the road and simply letting me have 2, quite large and extraordinary dogs myself.  So I hope that if you have love for dogs and an addiction like me, you never lose it! 

Cover Photo Source

Photos 1& 2 Source