Life > Experiences

My Journey to Healing My Inner Child

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

My childhood was interesting and rocky to say the least. In short terms, I was a military child, and I was raised by a single mother. We always had what we needed but the constant moving took a toll on my ability to make long-lasting friendships; I also had to grow up quickly. When we moved to Florida, I went to a private school where I experienced bad racial bullying. That led me to developing social anxiety and depression. When I transferred, I was much happier but still feel the effects to this day.

This semester, instead of attributing negativity to the past, I have started to do things I always wanted to do or loved doing as a child.

I was a book nerd in elementary school, so I have started reading again and it’s been a blast. I am a rom-com enthusiast, but also, I love science-fiction. Divergent was my absolute favorite series and I have vivid memories of reading them and watching the movies for the first time. I have wrapped up The Perfect Find and Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry and I loved both! The plot and pacing were superb. I am currently reading In Five Years and enjoying it.

I was an athlete up until junior year of high school, but I had to stop because of my knee giving out on me. I was a dancer, cheerleader, and sprinter/mid-distance runner for track. I loved cheer because I loved to tumble so I recently signed myself up for an adult tumbling/beginner gymnastics class and I am so excited. My goal was always to get my back handspring, so I hope to accomplish that goal. I also just recently did an adult beginner ballet class and it was so much fun. I did ballet when I was little, and I always see the pictures of me in my tutu and want to relive that moment.

The biggest hug to my inner child is attending therapy regularly. I always thought that my problems were not important because my experiences are something some people will never experience; traveling the world is a privilege. But my experiences are also something mentally I do not think people would want to experience. No one will ever understand what it is like until they live it. I’ve also learned to validate my feelings; just because someone has had it worse does not mean that my experiences are inferior. Being in therapy has been a huge blessing to my life and I am so grateful for it.

Being able to add these experiences into my adult life has been amazing. I have seen an improvement in my happiness, mental health, and relationships with others. I want to contribute more things from my childhood to continue to reclaim it from negativity.

I challenge you to reflect on your childhood and pick one thing you would like to relive as an adult and do it. I promise you it is such a fun memory and will bring you joy.

Aaliyah (Leah) Walker is a first-year writer at Her Campus at the FIU chapter. She writes articles pertaining to mental health, entertainment, and advocacy for people of color. Besides being a writer at Her Campus, Leah is a junior attending FIU, majoring in psychology and organizational communications. She is an equipment manager for the FIU football team as well as a learning assistant for the psychology department. As if that is not enough, she is also a mentor to twenty first-semester freshmen. When she has time to herself, Leah is a first time dog mommy to her puppy Zion. They love going to the dog park as well as attending agility classes. Leah also loves to read science-fiction books as well as taking long walks around campus. She loves true crime Youtube and Tiktok videos.