This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

For the past few years, Barack Obama has blessed us with his annual lists of his favorite books, movies, and songs. After reading his list, I decided that for 2019 I will be reading one new book every month.

With social media taking over our lives, I felt that I was being consumed by Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat for hours a day. Instead of senselessly scrolling through my feed I have taken Barack Obama’s list along with some research of my own to create a 2019 list of must read books.  

The list includes classic books that might (hopefully) sound familiar, empowering books, or simply just books that will distract you and take you through an unexpected journey.

An American Marriage- Tayari Jones

Becoming by Michelle Obama

1984- George Orwell

Lord of the Flies- William Golding

Crime and Punishment-by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

Intentional Living by John C. Maxwell

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven R. COvey

The Boy Who Followed His Father into Auschwitz by Jeremy Dronfield

Two Can Keep a Secret by Karen McManus

Watching You by Lisa Jewell

Educated by Tara Westover

Asymmetry by Lisa Halliday

The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai

The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani

There There by Tommy Orange

Washington Black by Est Edugyan

American Prison by Shane Bauer

Frederick Douglas by David W. Blight

Literature has always been the perfect way to forget about reality and dive into unimaginable stories. It is also a way to enrich yourself and open up your mind to ideas and concepts that can guide you through life. I hope this list encourages you to use that hour that you would be on your phone and read instead.

Hi loves! My name is Juanita Cardona, I am a sophomore at FIU majoring in Public Relations, Advertising & Applied Communications (PRAAC). I was born in Colombia and have a passion for traveling. I love experiencing new cultures, especially their food. Off of that Im a big foodie and love to try out new places to eat, but my favorite food is definitely sushi. I enjoy writing on women's issues and being a voice for the minorities. I hope to continue to write and grow as a writer in general.