tao and elle on a movie date in heartstopper season 2
Netflix/See-Saw

Musica Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Musica, starring Riverdale’s Camila Mendes and Vine star Rudy Manusco premiered at the Regal Theater in South Beach. The couple took a few minutes to express their excitement for the audience to watch Manusco’s Directorial debut before it hits Prime on April 4th.

I had the opportunity of attending the South Florida premier of Musica, a film starring Riverdale’s Camila Mendes and Vine star Rudy Manusco. Held at the Regal Theater in South Beach, the couple took a few minutes to express their excitement for the audience to watch Manusco’s Directorial debut before it hits Prime on April 4th.

As a Brazilian-American coming-of-age film, many plot points and events are inspired by Manusco’s life. One major element that Manusco includes in the film regards his struggle with Synesthesia- a perceptual condition that causes him to hear music through random, everyday sounds.

With an hour and a half run time, this film masterfully unfolds a story of a young Brazilian artist, struggling to pursue his creative ambitions while living up to the expectations implemented by the people who love him. A unique blend of comedy, romance, music, and Brazilian culture- this film embodies a unique enchantment that makes the audience a personal stakeholder in Manusco’s life.

Manusco’s masterful storytelling was amplified by an outstanding cast. Mendes provides nuance to the level-headedness of her character Isabella, a young Brazilian woman in love with the city, and Rudy’s romantic interest. The decision to have Maria Manusco (Rudy’s mom) play herself in the movie brought a grounding element that rooted the film even more firmly into reality.

To sum it up, I left the theater with a newfound regard for Manusco’s artistic ability. He has not only proved himself as an entertaining personality but an extremely talented storyteller, director, and musician. I am ecstatic to rewatch Musica when it hits Amazon Prime on April 4th.

I would like to give a special thanks to Miami Moviegoers for the SF premier tickets. Their mission is to excite audiences to go to the movies and revel in the theater experience. Miami Moviegoers has a minimum of two events per month, unrelated to the advance screenings and premiers. If you are a fellow movie lover, check them out on Instagram @miamimoviegoers.

Eliana Burns is thrilled to lend her voice to the Her Campus community, infusing her passion for art, film, literature and performance into her contributions. Prior to Her Campus, Eliana has written as a correspondent for The Venice Gondolier, a bi-weekly newspaper in Venice, Florida. In this role, she delved into the heart of local stories, with a focus on community performers. In her spare time, you can catch Eliana reading, writing, at the beach, or all of the above.