Michaela Coel’s “I May Destroy You” Deserves Attention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

*This article contains some spoilers for I May Destroy You and discusses sexual assault.

Two weeks ago, nominations for the 78th Golden Globe Awards were announced. I was not shocked to see that among the contenders were Anya Taylor-Joy (Emma, The Queen’s Gambit), Viola Davis, and Chadwick Boseman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom), and the number of nominations for The Crown. However, I was most pleased that the award show acknowledged Riz Ahmed (Sound of Metal), animated film, Over the Moon, and drama series Lovecraft Country. I also did a double-take for a few of the category placements. For example, why is Minari, an American film about a Korean American family searching for the American dream, placed under Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language?

But the biggest snub of all was Michaela Coel’s I May Destroy You.

I scrolled through the list multiple times, looking for mention of the British drama series created, written, co-directed, and executive produced by Michaela Coel, only to be left disappointed. I May Destroy You premiered on BBC One and HBO

The series follows Arabella Essiedu (Michaela Coel), a millennial icon that gained recognition through Twitter, which leads her to write her debut book “Chronicles of a Fed-Up Millennial.” One night, while she is struggling to hit the deadline of her second book, she is persuaded to take a break by grabbing drinks with a group of friends. What was supposed to be a night to unwind and catch up with friends, quickly ends with Arabella struggling to piece together an ill-remembered sexual assault. I May Destroy You chronicles the aftermath of Arabella’s rape and asks the question: If you can’t remember it, how could you consent? 

I May Destroy You also narrates the various degrees of stolen consent and violation of bodily autonomy. We see it when Arabella’s best friend Terry (Weruche Opia) is at an audition, and the director questions the validity of Terry’s hair. The director then asks Terry if she will remove her wig to satisfy her curiosity. Arabella’s other best friend Kwame (Paapa Essiedu), has a consensual sexual encounter that quickly becomes non-consensual and violent. Further, into the series, Arabella has consensual sex with a man until he removes the condom without her knowledge. 

My favorite moment is in the 12th and last episode. In the final episode, Arabella stakes out her rapist in the same bar where he raped her and explores all how she can take revenge. All the scenarios are radically different as Arabella finds the peace she’s been looking for. This is the last episode, and it is the most climatic. Michaela Coel is in command of the story, and we will be listening no matter how uncomfortable and unsettling it is because it is honest. The series does not hyperfocus on the perpetrator. It is about the long journey of healing and finding the support system that works for you. 

I May Destroy You and Michaela Coel might not have been nominated for a Golden Globe. They have won past awards, but they might not be nominated for other awards or maybe they will win future awards. However, there is no denying the impact this show has had on survivors and everyday viewers. Coel also approaches this serious subject with humor, which resonates with my people who have been through traumatic events and find comedy as a way to cope. I May Destroy You is genre-defying and a mandatory watch. 

Lidia (She/Her) is a senior majoring in Digital Communications and Media. When she is not petting dogs on the sidewalk or re-watching Harry Potter, she is scribbling away on any surface she can find. Lidia is passionate about writing critical and culturally relevant content.