Meet Miss. “Worlds Ahead” – Tiffany Roman Biffa!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity – Tiffany Roman Biffa! She truly represents FIU because she is a “worlds ahead” woman. In just the past year, she has traveled the world and interned at the Organization of American States. Get to know more about her by reading my interview with her!

Year: Senior

Major: International Relations | Concentration: Middle East and National Security Studies 

What are you involved with on campus?

• Student Government Council- MMC VP | Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority

What internships do you currently have or have had in the past: 

• Organization of American States (OAS) – June-September 2015 Washington DC 
  • The Hispanic Heritage Foundation (HHF) – June- August 2014 Washington DC 

Where do you see yourself in ten years?

• “Practicing Private International Law around the world and preparing myself to be the best conflict mediator on international disputes in the area of Middle East – Latin America Relations.”

Who is your role model? 

• “I have a couple for different areas of my life; in terms of leadership former Secretaries of State Madelaine Albright and Condolezza Rice and former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Also, I personally I admire both of my grandmothers, they both were excellent examples that a woman can have it all. My maternal grandmother left her homeland, Colombia at the age of 17 to take a job as a secretary for an oil company in Venezuela. With time she moved up the ranks to a position of power where she had the opportunity to break glass ceilings. My paternal grandmother raised nine children and had a corporate job at the largest telephone company of Venezuela.  Certainly they wouldn’t have been as successful with their incredible partners my admirable and loving grandfathers but what they accomplished personally and professionally is as women during this time is absolutely outstanding.”

Describe your perfect date.

• “That’s a difficult question! I believe it can go both ways but I like when people share something their passionate about with me and show me a place or activity that really gives me a glimpse of their unique personality or do something completely new for the both of us that challenges us to get out of our comfort zone is a fantastic way to get to know each other…. Of course all of this accompanied of a delicious meal and great wine is a must!”

Do you have a hobby?

• Traveling, so far I’ve visited more than 22 countries and every time I travel I get more excited about new places and experiences I would like to explore. I chose my major and lifestyle to match this hobby of mine! 

What is your favorite FIU Memory?

• “There are so many beautiful memories of my time here at FIU, but if I have to choose one I would have to say our latest SGA Federal Advocacy trip with my former Chief of Staff and the SGA President to Washington DC. We got to connect with our legislators and communicate FIU’s needs and successes, we got to experience our first snow storm and explore one of the most scenic cities in the country with lifelong friends and colleagues. During this trip I was also informed that one of my dearest family members was on remission from Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.”

When you were younger,  what did you strive to be when you got older?

• “I wanted to be Venezuela’s First Female President and a war journalist.”

What is your avorite thing to read?

• “Foreign Affairs Magazine, The Economist, The Atlantic, Historical Novels, Classic Novels (reading is one of my passions)” 

What is your avorite fictional character? 

• Elizabeth Bennet (main character of Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.)”

What advice do you have for our fellow collegiettes? 

• “Be yourself and know what the woman you want to be. College is a time for introspection and exploring who you are as a woman. People, experiences and circumstances will be imprinted in your memory but they don’t have to define who you are. You are the only person in the world that holds the power to define who you are and where you’re going.” 

How do you manage to juggle all of the things you are involved in?

• “I empower others to excel and create teams of passionate people that believe in my vision and values that I trust enough to delegate different projects or initiatives. Also I believe there is time to do everything, one just needs to prioritize correctly.”
Mary Corbin is a Sophomore at Florida International University studying Broadcast Journalism and Political Science. She hopes to become a reporter in Washington, D.C. Mary is very involved on and off campus. She is a Lower Division senator for the Student Government Association, a Morale Captain for Dance Marathon, Public Relations Coordinator for the Miss FIU Pageant and a member of a Panhellenic organization. She is also very passionate about helping children with disabilities. Every year she volunteers at Brucie Ball Educational Center, a school for children with disabilities.