Massive Famine Strikes Yemen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Yemen is currently facing what many consider to be the worst famine seen in decades. As Saudi Arabia and Yemen continue the war against each other, a life-threatening toll has come upon the people of Yemen. Just last week the Houthi rebels fired a missile towards an airport in Riyadh. Saudi Arabia has responded to the attack by strengthening its air blockade over Yemen. Since last week Monday, Riyadh has been blocking ports and preventing aid agencies to land into the country and assist with the humanitarian crisis that is worsening each day.

Though Saudi officials continue to claim there is no hunger crisis in Yemen, 70 percent of the population requires humanitarian assistance. Children lie restless, gasping for every breath, as they appear skeletal. As war continues to prevail, the access of food worsens and prices rise. “Fruit and vegetables are a luxury like meat used to be,” said Arafat Zayed.

Less than 45 percent of the country’s medical facilities remain running due to lack of funds or to have being bombed by airstrikes. Around 2,500 peoples lives are being threatened each day. United Nations chief Mark Lowcock states if these restrictions remain over the country of Yemen there will be “the largest famine the world has seen for many decades, with millions of victims.”

photo source

cover photo