This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

To the girls reading this,

I am a woman. A woman who does not feel oppressed, less than or incapable. As a woman, I feel that we have the power to do all things under the sun while rocking a nice pair of heels. We are capable of being the CEOs of companies, we can graduate with the highest of degrees, and we are capable of running for president in a country where we were once not even allowed to vote. I refuse to shrink my self, make my self less or tell my self I cannot do something because I am a woman.

We as women are living in a place where we have the freedoms to choose the things we want and do not want. Being a stay at home mom, not having children or putting on a full face of makeup every morning does not make you any less empowered it makes you just as much of woman as the next girl. We are women living in the 21st century and what makes us women is the fact that we have gotten past all barriers and stood up to the idea that because we are women we are not capable of working careers dominated by men but here we are and every day a woman breaks down a wall– whether it’s being able to run for president, being inducted into the supreme court or getting promoted at their job.

It’s not the principle of being a woman and being better than men, it’s about being you. We wake up every morning with something to prove–and that in itself is empowering because we will never back down to a challenge, simply because we have conquered so many.

I am proud to be a woman, but I do not believe that being a woman is what makes me empowered. It’s what’s inside me that makes me empowered. The ability to say I will rather than I can’t.

Be the empowered person you were meant to be, make the decisions you want to make, fight for what you believe in and never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something.

You are capable of being and doing whatever you want to do. The possibilities are endless.

xoxo,

Ashley 

Cover photo source here