This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The time we have been dreading for so long has finally come. Its finals week ladies and gentlemen. Some say that it’s the time of the year where you spend day and night studying. For those like myself, that means making it to the library, opening a book for thirty minutes, then scrolling through instagram and watching youtube videos for hours until you’ve realized you have wasted so much time that you finally rush to get everything done. That is the studying that we should avoid this year, and we will succeed. I am probably the master of procrastination and laziness, but one thing im good at is faking it until I make it, and motivating others while im really just trying to motivate myself. So with that being said, I have made a list of tips and tricks on how to successfully study and pass your finals!

1) Make A Study Schedule.

This is something that I did this year in preparation for my finals and it defiantly took a big weight off of my shoulders. Not only does making a list prevent you from waiting until the last minute to get stuff done, but it helps you space everything out. With a study schedule you can for sure study for multiple tests in one day. You don’t have to do this but for myself if I don’t make it super specific it wont happen, something that works for me is separating what I have to get done by hour. For example on Monday I would jot down studying for math class from 12-2, and then start my sociology study guide from 5-7. Whichever way you would like to make your study schedule would work and help you get the job done.

2) Get Inspired.

Something that I always have to do before studying is, watch a ted talk. It may seem a little silly but I’m not joking when I say this works! Anything that will motivate you, helps to also get you eager to get everything done. Whether that’s watching a quick Ted Talk or looking up quotes on Pinterest, this tip will get you in the mood to study. A ted talk that helped me view procrastination and motivation differently is called “The Secret to Self-Motivation”, and I have linked it right here for you to give it a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lz0VOltZKA&t=16s 

3) Do Not Study on Your Bed. Study Around Others

Any pro at being lazy knows that studying on your bed, is your kryptonite. Yet we do it anyway! No matter if I am on my bed or even near it, I somehow always end up taking a huge nap right at my prime time study time. This is why its so important to avoid studying in your room at all times. I recommend studying where others are studying around you, it also motivates you as well. For me these places are Starbucks and the library at my school. Anywhere where you can get some peace and quiet, that doesn’t include a comfy bed, pretty much is perfect for your path to success.

4)Take Breaks.

Breaks are vital to s successful study plan, you could even add it to your study schedule! Our brains need rest in order to continue studying. You  want to do well studying but also do you do not want to be so exhausted you cant even take the test. Taking a break helps you remember and process all of the information you’ve learned.

5) Believe in Yourself.

Stop with the negativity! No matter how hard that class is start spreading positive vibes by saying you WILL pass! Words are powerful, it can ultimately change the way you preform on the exam. How you say you will preform is how you will preform. Give yourself some credit. You’re in college, you’ve made it here, you’re capable and you’re intelligent.

I hope these tips have helped you in any way. Get ready to do rock that exam!

Gaby V.