Intermittent Fasting 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

What is intermittent fasting and why do so many people talk about it? If you haven’t already heard, intermittent fasting is a great way to lose weight – safely. Now that January is coming to an end, its time to kick the fitness and diet routines into gear. Are you still carrying those few extra pounds from the holidays that you’re dying to shed? Then intermittent fasting might just be what you’re looking for.

What it is

There are many purposes and ways in which fasting happens, and intermittent fasting is just one of them. This is a term for an eating pattern that has set periods of fasting and eating. It does not regulate what you can eat, but rather when you should eat.

How to do it

Intermittent fasting comes in different ways. Common methods include daily 16-hour fasts or fasting for 24 hours twice a week. This, however, does not mean it is what you need to do. You can also do intermittent fasting by doing a 12-hour or 14-hour fasting period. Although this may seem daunting, most practicing intermittent-fasters stop eating after dinner, sleep and wait until the selected hour period ends the next day. The length of the fast is decided by how long you can do it and how much weight you want to lose. 

How it Affects your Body

When you fast, your body changes hormone levels in order to make stored body fat more accessible. The levels of growth hormone increase, benefiting fat loss and muscle gain. With fasting, your body is receving a reduced caloric intake, which leads to weight loss. It increases release of the fat burning hormone norepinephrine. Because of these changes, short-term fasting can increase your metabolic rate.

Health Benefits

Studies have shown that intermittent fasting can have a powerful effect on the health of your body and brain. It may reduce LDL cholesterol, blood triglycerides, blood sugar and a lot of other risk factors for heart disease. Intermittent fasting increases a brain hormone called BDNF, which can aid the growth of new nerve cells and perhaps protect against Alzheimer’s disease.

Other Info

Intermittent fasting has a different impact on different people. There is no way to make sure it will work for you until you try it. It is normal to feel hunger at the beginning, but as your body adapts that will slowly go away. I want to advise that I am in no way a health professional nor do I know which method is the best for you. Before starting, do your research and ask your doctor before making any decisions.

– Desi 

Cover Photo Source