Culture > News

“I Promise You A Better Life” – Lebron James

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Besides nearly breaking the internet this summer when it was announced he would be signing to the Los Angeles Lakers, NBA king, Lebron James, has also been a hot topic due to his I Promise Foundation. With the help of Akron, Ohio’s school board, the Lebron James Family Foundation was able to create the I Promise School and as of July 30th, 2018, 240 at-risk students became the first inaugurated class. With a longer lasting academic school year, the schools curriculum is designed to not only help bring these students up to speed in their level of education, but also teach them how to deal with factors they may face outside of the classroom.

The I Promise School is giving students access to: tutors, counselors, free breakfast & lunches, bicycles, music programs, sports programs, intervention specialists, and bilingual teachers for students whose first language is not English. However, what makes the school stand out above all else is that although this special program is being offered, I Promise is still in fact a public school.

However, the I Promise foundation is not only helping the students, but also their families by giving them opportunities for the future. Parents will be given the opportunity to obtain formal free education, receive assistance with job placement, and access to food banks. Lastly, if the students have successfully completed the program and high school they will receive a full ride to the University of Akron.

For further information or if you would like to make a donation to the I Promise foundation, please visit: http://www.lebronjamesfamilyfoundation.org/