How to Stay Safe This Halloween Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Halloween will finally come into town this Friday. Whereas many of you will be partying it up with fellow ghouls and goblins, it is important to stay safe wherever you go this Halloween. Here are a few tips to stay safe at any Halloween party!

Don’t wear anything too revealing or risqué.

• We all want to look cute and sexy in our firefighter and fairy costumes but make sure to not overdo it. Wearing very scantily-clad costumes may be taken in a negative way to some guys you’ll encounter at your Halloween parties. Also, be sure to not wear any costume that may be perceived to be closely impersonating a police officer. Law enforcement may take offense to them.

If you are drinking, do NOT leave your drink unattended!

• If you are of legal drinking age, it is important to regulate your drinking habits at whatever party you decide to attend. Leaving your drinks unattended or accepting drinks from others is extremely dangerous. Many girls have been victims of date rape from spiked drinks at parties. Further, always have a designated driver in your group of friends. If there is no DD, make sure to call a cab or take public transportation to ensure you and your friends get home safely.

Do not walk alone or with someone you don’t know at night.

• Leaving a party by yourself is definitely not a good idea. If you go to a party with your friends and decide to separate, make sure you set up a specific location to meet up after the party is over. Also make sure that all of your cell phones are charged, that way, lines of communication with your group of friends will always be open. If you go to a party together, you leave the party together!

Trust your instincts!

• If you and your friends receive a negative vibe, leave the party! Your instincts and gut feeling always tend to be the best decision maker. You and your friends can go home and have a girls’ night in or go to an alternative party.

Have fun and be safe this Halloween season!

Ashley is a junior at Florida International University majoring in Journalism and minoring in Social Media & E-Marketing Analytics. Born and raised in Miami to Trinidadian parents, Ashley comes from a diverse background that cultivated her love for cultural diversity. She loves blogging, entertainment, music and travelling. Ashley aspires to become the editor-in-chief of her own online publication in the future. Check out Ashley's entertainment and lifestyle blog at www.callmemissandrews.com ! Follow her on twitter: @callmemsandrews and on Instagram: @callmemissandrews