This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Over the past few months, my social media has taken a complete turn, and more specifically, my Instagram. I’d always been one to admire “influencers” and bloggers from afar, but I never really considered the possibility of actually becoming one.

I had always loved to create content but kept most of it private because I was terrified of what other people would think. One day in the middle of the summer, I began to question that logic.

“Was I going to let the opinions of other people keep me from doing something I wanted?” The answer was no.

Becoming a micro-influencer or a college influencer is difficult because you’re trying to build a brand for yourself the same way thousands of other people are. The difference is knowing how to begin the process and how to grow your following.

The most important thing to remember if you’re thinking about growing your social media following is to be patient. This tip is especially notable at the beginning of the transition from a personal to a public account. 

Give yourself some breathing room at first and set boundaries. It’s crucial to acknowledge what you’re willing to do versus what you will absolutely not do so that, as you approach brands, you come across as polished and professional.

After you’ve established this, the work begins to organically grow your audience. There are many incredible resources online that you can participate in, but the best ones, in my opinion, are campus organizations, engagement groups, and influencer communities.

Three women talking with flowers
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash

1. Campus Organizations

Campus organizations are a secret weapon, and most of them have been hiding in plain sight. Organizations such as Campus Trendsetters and College Fashionista are directly linked to Her Campus Media and are easy, fun ways to get involved with women passionate about the same things as you!

2. Engagement Groups

Engagement groups are my favorite because they are the tried and true way to organically growing your social media. Engagement groups can be found on any of the organizations above as well as in influencer communities! New members are always welcome, and nothing’s better than a group of women who hype each other up!

3. Influencer Communities

Influencer communities are another great way to boost your follower count on all platforms. Sites such as Influenster and Linqia help further your relationship with brands and snag sponsorship deals and free PR. These tools are stepping stones that will draw people to your profile, increasing your audience, and upping your engagement!

These three resources have helped me gain a considerable amount of followers in as little as two months. It takes patience and dedication, but eventually, all your hard work will pay off!

The most important thing to remember is that people will talk no matter what you do…so you might as well give them something to talk about.

Follow DANIELA on Instagram.

Daniela Gonzalez is a 21-year-old HerCampus Writer at Florida International University. She is currently double-majoring in Political Science and International Relations while acquiring certificates in Pre-Law and National Security. She enjoys writing about lifestyle, wellness, and politics. When she is not writing, she loves to travel, go out to eat, and spend time with her friends and family.