How to Deal with your Boss: 5 Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

You wake up on the right side of bed, ready to just make it happen! You’re getting ready for work feeling like a million bucks, and honestly nothing can bring you down.  It’s a good day because you’re alive, and fortunately have a job to go to. But wait. There’s just this one problem that storms on your entire day. Your boss… your boss is that ginormous cloud above your head. Dealing with your boss is nothing simple. You either need a Masters in Psychology, or 30 years or work experience to be able to successfully handle that cloud above your head. I still have not mastered the art of dealing with my boss, but I will tell you that these seven steps help me see the rainbow during my work hours:

1. Eat a nutritious and filling meal before work

We all know that the worst state to deal with problems is when you’re hungry. If you already have a hard time dealing with your boss, you should know that it is twice as difficult to deal with your boss effectively when you’re hungry.  Just do yourself the favor and eat a great meal before, pack yourself some snacks, and trust me your tummy will keep you on the brighter side.

2. Do NOT wear your emotions

As you can imagine, a boss has a lot to deal with. The last thing they want to deal with is your emotions. Upsetting, but true. Your boss does not care that you think it isn’t “fair”, you’re hurt by her/his arrogance, that you’re stressed, sad, or depressed.  Of course, we are not robots and we all have emotions that should not be bottled up, but the work place is not the place to be venting. Honestly, I’m a sensitive person. So if for some reason I feel overwhelmed, then I step into the bathroom, give myself a pep talk and refresh myself.  Your boss will smell the fear and weakness in you, so you have to show her/him that you have developed a professional barrier that keeps your emotions from bottling out.  Don’t let your boss prey on you.

3. Be the best you can be

You can’t throw stones at your boss, and you shouldn’t be a smart mouth, although at times it may seem pleasing. The only effective way to get back at your boss is by being the best you can be. Regardless of what job you have, when you are doing it well and succeeding, your boss should not have any rational reasons to reprimand you about anything. Give them only good reasons to talk to and about you.

4. Don’t take it personal, it’s just business

Yeah I know, so cliché but it’s crucial to understand that any critique or demand your boss gives you is simply for the better of the business. Take everything with a grain of salt, remember you work for a living but you don’t live to work. Let all the negative energy and comments slip right off you, because if you take it to heart then you’ll be in a terrible sour mood the entire day. It’s difficult, but it is all about mind power.

5. Outshine the negativity with your positive energy and good aura

Don’t let your boss or anyone contaminate your good energy with negativity. Stand strong, follow the previous steps, and continue to have the mind set that you are going to have an amazing day.  Remember, negativity is business cancer. Laugh about things, smile, and you might even impact those around you. People need sunshine, even during work.