This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Having acne is horrible point blank. It’s dragging and rude.

Having acne prone and oily-skinis tedious. It leads you with so many questions like, “Which products can I use? Is there a specific product that won’t dry my skin up? ” Sometimes what works wonders for one person, won’t be the same for you. It’s a trial-error process basically.

It’s also not fun having oily-acne prone skin and carring around blotting paper and going to the bathroom to make sure that you aren’t looking like a shinny disco ball. You can see it as having this ethereal glowing, natural highlighted skin or as a tedious, make-up eraser skin. You can see it as the skin that never ages or the skin that cost you a lot.

But, like everything in life, they are pros and cons of having oily skin. For one, having oily skin means that you have acne prone skin; which leads you to fixate on your skin and overuse acne products.  That’s a big cycle, acne appears, overusing acne medication, acne dries up, but then the skin overproduces more oil to make up for the lack of it and its never-ending.  

The tip is knowing the perfect balance of moisturizing the skin and using the right product. Either way, whether you look more towards the negative side than the positive, here are some holy grail products that can help your oily skin. 

• Rubber Modeling Mask

(Sephora Image)

This product is easy, simple, and fun to do. Unlike regular essence filled face mask, this mask comes in a powder form.   Usually, depending on the brand, it will come in Jell-O like container cup with the powder and a small plastic mixing stick.  My tip is to use only half of the power and find a small cup or bowl to pour the one you’re going to use.  Although it already comes in the recommended measurements, my first mistake is using it all and then having to sadly throw away the rest because the product was too much for one face.  Best: Lindsay Modeling Mask or Dr.Jar+

Micellar Cleansing Water

(Image: Hitha On The Go)

This product is like rain in a draft to the skin. It’s best used before actually cleansing the face. Use it as a make-up remover.  The best thing about this product is that it doesn’t leave your oily skin dry after using it. 

•  The Chok Chok Green Tea Watery Cream from TonyMoly

(Image; Tony Moly)

Green tea isn’t only a beverage option. Nope,  green tea is oily skin’s best friend. The antioxidant green tea has, helps with the reducing sebum and even shrinking pores.  Tony Moly’s facial cream is so rich. The product as a whole is amazing, it leaves the face so refreshed and smelling great too. 

•  Tea Tree Oil

(Image: Labdeleon)

This multi-use product does miracles on the skin. You can use it in the day, night, in your modeling mask, and basically anywhere.  There are so many brands that have Tea tree oil so there is a variety of selection. You can even buy it in Marshalls or Ross cheaper than what Sephora or a drug store may sell it.  (Just make sure it’s for facial usage not for aromatherapy.)

• Pimple Patches

(Image: Juniperry 

Now, because of your oily skin, you probably have the occasional unwanted acne.  Pimple patches will save you from touching it and over drying the problem. Pimple patches is a salicylic acid-infused product that works best on a make-up free face. You can choose to wear the pimple patch during any time of the day, but its best to use it at night time. 

• Curology 

( Image: Curology)

This is perfect for anyone who doesn’t have the time and money for a dermatologist. Curology, unlike proactive, cares to the individual’s needs. It’s quick and simple to use, just send a picture of your bareface to them, tell them what you want to tackle, leave a side note, and then wait for them to conjure something up for you. The best thing is that curology gives you a free sample (you have to pay for shipping) and if you like the outcome of how your skin is looking then you can stick with their product or you can cancel at any time too. 

Author’s note: I use Korean based products because of the natural ingredients being used. Also because South Korea is known as the number one skin central place. The only negative part of this is the shipping and where to buy the products;  I suggest going to Yesstyle.com or checking out how much Target or  Sephora sells it for. These have been products I have seen my friends use and worked for them. 

Stephanie Almendares is currently a student at Florida International University majoring in Mass communication-Journalism while also getting a Film Certificate. She enjoys watching plays, reading books--some which she's already read more then 10 times-- and learning about crystals and astrology.