Hispanic Heritage Month: Reflecting on Miami’s Latin Community

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

The fifteenth of September started off the beginning of Hispanic Heritage Month. During this month, many look back on the impact that Hispanic communities, and individuals, have had on other communities and history. Many groups take this time to recognize the effective contributions established within their communities. Having said that, let us celebrate and take a look inside the Hispanic culture of our community, Miami!

• ART

Tourists from all over the world travel to Florida to visit our beloved Miami and its iconic attractions. Wynwood is one area in Miami that has expanded over the years that has become well-known for its graffiti art. The colorful art surrounding Wynwood has led to a variety of murals and sculptures that also contribute to Miami’s nightlife.

• FOOD

With so many different cultures, Miami is a place where food options are ENDLESS. Most of Miami’s popular dishes and restaurants are heavily influenced by Cuban culture. One Miami staple that’s a must when visiting the area is Vicky Bakery. The well-known bakery carries traditional Cuban pastries such as pastelitos and more.

• MUSIC

Part of what makes up Miami’s culture is the music and nightlife. Many enjoy listening to Salsa, Latin Pop, and Reggeaton. In fact, many well-known artists like Camila Cabello and Pitbull are Miami natives!

• SPORTS

Miami’s sports teams have gained various fans throughout the years and continue to grow their fandom. Popular teams include the Miami Dolphins who won every regular-season game in 1972, the Miami Marlins, and the Miami Heat who have won three NBA championships in the year(s) 2006, 2012, and 2013.

Miami is certainly a city with so much to look forward to. From food to the nightlife, it’s a culture of its own where the community only continues to grow. Having said that, Happy Hispanic Heritage Month!

Samantha joined Her Campus in January 2022 and has continued as a writer. Based in Miami, Florida and is currently a Public Relations student at Florida International University. Favorite pastimes range from art and writing to music and traveling. Enjoys watching movies, going out, and watching sports games.