This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Since May, I have spent the rest of 2023 reading various books. I delve into romance, mystery, thriller, and comedy genres. Some of the books I have read are a mix of genres. Although, I have read books that I prefer more than others. Thus, I recommend the books listed below if someone wants to start reading in 2024 or is currently in a reading slump.

Dial A for Aunties-Jesse Q. Sutanto

This comedic thriller follows the story of the only child in a Chinese-Indonesian family, Meddelin Chan. I related to her in the sense of having first-daughter guilt and being very close with my family. In this book, we follow Meddy, a photographer for her Mother and three aunts’ wedding planning business. As they are busy setting up in a fancy hotel on an island off the coast of Southern California, her Mother sets her up with a blind date. Reluctantly, she agrees to go and meets up with Jason. As they were driving home from the date, Jason was a creep and would not stop trying to put his hands on Meddy after numerous times asking him to stop. So, she pulls her taser and tases him in the neck, which would lead to them crashing into a tree. After realizing that he just killed a guy, she had nowhere to turn to but for the help of her Mother and her three aunties; in this book, you read the dynamic between this family trying to cover it up.

The Housemaid- Freida Mcfadden

I consider The Housemaid one of the best books I have ever read. The Housemaid follows the story of Millie Calloway, who just got out of prison and is on parole. As she is about to give up after struggling to find a job due to her criminal record, the wealthy Winchesters hire her to become their Housemaid and nanny. One of her benefits to the job will be to move into the house and get a room in the house. However, the downside of getting her room is that it locks from the outside. Reading this book, you will experience suspense, thriller, romance, and betrayal throughout the story. I recommend this book to anyone who is experiencing a reading slump.

The Inmate-Frieda Mcfadden

After reading The Housemaid and the Housemaid’s Secret, I needed to read another book that had the name Frieda McFadden under the title. Thus, I bought The Inmate. This psychological thriller demonstrates Brooke Sullivan, a Nurse practitioner, having to work in a maximum security men’s prison, Raker Penitentiary. She has been given three rules by her employer, Dorothy, to treat all prisoners with respect, never share her personal information, such as the identity of her son, and become too friendly with the inmates. Understandably, Brooke is anxious about having to work in a maximum-security prison; however, she is not anxious about her life possibly being put in danger. She is anxious about running into a guy from her past, Shane. Shane has been sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, and there is a chance that Brooke is responsible for him ending up behind bars.

Hello! My name is Christine Santiago; my pronouns are she, her, and hers. My major is Political Science/Pre-Law.