Heart of Gold: Michi Ulacia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

There are humans, there are superheroes, and then there is Michelle Ulacia. This amazing woman can inspire anyone with her passion and dedication to others. She has a fire in her that can’t be dimmed, and seems to be unstoppable these days. Let’s get to know this incredible individual who is this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Age: 22

Major: Finance & Management

What are your campus involvements?

• Assistant Director of Finance – FIU Homecoming 2015, Social Chair – Alpha Xi Delta, Philanthropy Representative – Pi Kappa Phi, Tresurer – FIU Best Buddies, member of Order of Omega 

What is your favorite involvement and why?

• Picking my favorite involvement would be close to impossible. Each and every involvement has helped me grow into the woman I am today. I’ve been on Homecoming for the past 3 years and it has helped me develop leadership skills that I wouldn’t have developed in any other organization as well as give me my panther spirit. My sorority, Alpha Xi Delta, has given me lifelong friends who have supported me time and time again as well unforgettable memories. She has given me more than I could ever return to her. Pi Kappa Phi and its philanthropy, The Ability Experience, have made me a selfless, compassionate, and determined individual. Although Best Buddies and Order of Omega are my newest involvements, I am able to continue to help others and make a difference in the world.

What does philanthropy mean to you?

• Philanthropy is one of my greatest passions. It is a topic that I could go on and on about; It a subject that lights me up. Being able to help others and make an impact on them is life changing; however, it is these individuals that I fundraise for and raise awareness for that make an everlasting impact on me. My stepsister, Demi, has Autism and bipolar disorder, and it is because of her that my passion for philanthropy originally started. One of my favorite quotes is from Steve Jobs “…the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.” We all have the ability to make a difference in the world and I believe that one day if we all use this ability, we will create a world we wish to live in.

What is the most important thing you have learned through your work?

• The most important thing I learned through my work is leadership. Being a leader means embodying several skills that you can help others develop. A leader is an example and/or role model and although I am not perfect, as no one is, I have continually helped others realize their potential.

Do you have any advice for students that want to get involved on campus?

• My advice for them would be to use time management wisely. Plan out your days with your meetings or events with ample amount of time to study or do class assignments. Don’t be scared to try something new. I was very timid and hesitant to join a sorority or run for a pageant and they have been involvements that have changed my life and helped me grow into the person I am today. Even if you “fail” keep trying because there’s an involvement out there for everyone and it’ll help you develop skills for your future career and give you those amazing college memories. Get involved, make a difference, and have that panther spirit.

Thank you Michi for being an incredible role model to all of us!

Addicted to iced coffee, Grey's Anatomy is a lifestyle not a hobby, and I consider myself a concert enthusiast.