absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

GQ GAME CHANGER OF THE YEAR AWARD GOES OUT TO 16-YEAR-OLD FEMALE ACTIVIST

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Greta Thunberg, a 16-year-old environmental activist, and a Noble Peace Prize nominee, has had an amazing summer.

In June, she published a book called No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference, where she includes her ground-breaking speeches. Greta addressed the French parliament in July urging them to take action on climate change.

To end this summer on a good note, it was announced that she was named “Game Changer of the Year” by GQ Magazine. This award was created especially for her to celebrate her achievements in activism, pop culture and politics.

Greta began a worldwide movement to take action against climate change. Her school strike, which originally started last summer, has inspired 1.4 million people (including students) to protest around the world. This movement is now known as #FridaysForFuture.

In an interview with GQ, Greta explained how she will approach a conversation with President Trump regarding his decision to pull out of the Paris climate agreement. She said that, “I don’t think I would say anything to him, because he’s obviously not listening to the science and the scientists and the experts… So what could I say to change his mind? I would say that we need a movement to do this together, because one person can’t change his mind. We need to do that together.”

Thunberg said that she is “very grateful and this award is for everyone in the Fridays For Future movement, everyone whose school is striking for the climate. We all deserve this award because together we have accomplished so much. So thank you to everyone who has been school striking as well.”

GQ made the right choice in awarding Greta the Game Changer Award. I believe this is just the beginning for Greta Thunberg. She has inspired millions of people and students to stand up for climate change.

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

Liuba is a senior studying Political Science and Global Media Communication. Her goal is to work in the communications field for a non-profit or politician. She is passionate about issues dealing with the environment and social justice. When Liuba is not working or studying, she runs her own personal blog and also volunteers for a non-profit that focuses on water contamination.