Style > Fashion

Going Through a Wardrobe Crisis? Here’s Some Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at FIU chapter.

Going through a wardrobe crisis in your 20s (or earlier) might just be a right of passage. If you’re in college you’re likely in the stage of life where you can finally fully express yourself through any style, and at the same time need to start developing a more professional/mature wardrobe. At this point in our lives, all the clothes we have collected over time reflect past phases and trends, sprinkled with some newer ones. Before you freak out and throw away everything you own, or start spending your entire bank account on whatever is the new trend, here are some tips from someone in the same boat.

Sell or donate the old stuff

Take a serious look at each and every piece in your wardrobe. Read that again. Emphasis on “serious look” and “each and every piece”. It’s hard to let go of those things you were so excited about wearing, but never wore, or those clothing items you always wore, but now never do. If you don’t know where you would wear a clothing item now, or if you haven’t worn something in the last six months, that’s a sure sign you need to toss it. Get a friend to help while you go through your things for honest and objective help. Then, once you’ve got your pile together, download a buying or selling app such as Depop, Poshmark, or ThredUP and post the decent ones. The rest, donate to your local thrift store!

Find your personal style

Finding your personal style doesn’t have to be a long and crazy journey. Just genuinely think about if what you might buy and wear will makes you feel good. I suggest going on Pinterest and making a board with images of style inspo that speak to you, one example on my board in below. Also, think long term, is this something you see yourself still wearing in the next 5 years? Don’t just go by trends, but dress to express your own unique personality and interests.

Shop slowly and purposefully

Quality > Quantity. Do not try to fill up all of the gaps in your wardrobe all at once or you will wind up with the same issue you started with. Choose pieces that might be more expensive, but that you know you will wear consistently, rather than going for the buy 2 get 3 free deal (and ending up with a bunch of low quality, weird fitting pieces). Make a list of stores that sell clothing that caters to your personal style and stick to those. Many of the style inspo on your pinterest board may have links to the items you want! Don’t buy for imaginary events, buy clothes for what you know you will be doing. Be more picky, think of clothing as an important investment, not just something to wear and tear resulting in wasted money.

Sofia is a senior studying Public Relations, Advertising, and Applied Communications at FIU. Sofia loves all things writing and art. She was born and raised in New Jersey but currently resides in Miami. Sofia has a passion for seeing new places, trying new things, and delving into the world of different media.